Kucinich to file articles of impeachment against Cheney

In summary, DK argues that it is more important to remove the offender first, rather than the puppet, and that impeachment of Bush makes no sense.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
... The decision to lodge impeachment charges against the Vice President marked a new direction for Kucinich. Last year, he declined to support former Rep. Cynthia McKinney's (D-GA) impeachment charges against President George W. Bush, according to the Atlanta Progressive News. But after posting a video on his campaign website saying that he would consult voters as he campaigned around the country, the Congressman appears to have decided to move ahead with the impeachment charges against the Vice President.

The Congressman explained his rationale in the video.[continued]
http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Kucinich_set_to_announce_Articles_of_0424.html

I can only hope that his motives are sincere and that this is not intended solely as a means to political gain.

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing about this guy that does make sense. I don't agree yet but I need to think about it more. He argues that Cheney was the biggest offender in spreading false claims, which is true. He also argues that we certainly don't want to impeach Bush if Cheney is VP, which God knows that IS true. And finally, maybe he implied this or perhaps it is my own idea, but this is somewhat a compromise between those like me who want Bush & Cheney thrown out, and those who feel that this would be too traumatic and too much a distraction to be in the nation's best interest. The problem that I still have is that the law is based on precedence, and this admin cannot be allowed to set precedence for future admins. The entire Bush admin must ultimately be viewed as an aberration and a Constitutional abomination.

Ivan,

DK makes a lot of sense on many issues, including this one. Bush is a dupe, maybe delusional, maybe not, but incompetent in every instance he has been employed. He in a year could not dream up what Cheney thinks in a day. And so impeachment of Bush makes no sense at all. The real assasin is then free to roam. A dbl impeachment would be nigh impossible. To me it makes sense to remove the offender first, rather than the puppet.

I guess no matter what happens afterwards, we want Cheney out first.

1. What are the reasons for Kucinich's decision to file articles of impeachment against Cheney?

Kucinich believes that Cheney has committed multiple offenses, such as deceiving the public about the Iraq War, manipulating intelligence to justify the war, and violating the Constitution and international law.

2. Is this the first time Kucinich has attempted to impeach Cheney?

No, Kucinich previously introduced articles of impeachment against Cheney in 2007, but they were ultimately dismissed by the House of Representatives.

3. What is the likelihood of Cheney being impeached?

It is highly unlikely that Cheney will be impeached, as it would require a majority vote in the House of Representatives and a two-thirds vote in the Senate. Additionally, the current political climate does not support impeachment proceedings.

4. How long does the impeachment process take?

The impeachment process can vary in length, but it typically involves several months of investigation, hearings, and debates before a vote is taken. If impeached, the trial in the Senate can also take several months.

5. What impact could this have on Cheney's political career?

If Cheney were to be impeached and convicted, he would be removed from office and barred from holding any future federal office. However, since the chances of impeachment are slim, it is unlikely to have a significant impact on his political career.