Ladder operators to find Hamiltonian of harmonic oscillator

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Messages
949
Reaction score
48
Hello, I was just watching a youtube video deriving the equation for the Hamiltonian for the harmonic oscillator, and I am also following Griffiths explanation. I just got stuck at a part here, and was wondering if I could get some help understanding the next step (both the video and book glanced over this part)

Video Link

The derivation starts at about 8:00

First defining
$$\hat {a}_{\pm} = \frac {1}{\sqrt{2 \hbar m \omega}}( \mp i \hat {p} + m \omega \hat {x})$$

$$ \hat {a}_{-} \hat {a}_{+} = \frac {1}{2 \hbar m \omega}(i \hat {p} + m \omega \hat {x})(-i \hat {p} + m \omega \hat {x}) $$
$$ = \frac {1}{2 \hbar m \omega}( \hat {p}^{2} + i m \omega \hat {p} \hat {x} - i m \omega \hat {x} \hat {p} + m^{2} \omega^{2} \hat {x}^{2}) $$
$$ = \frac {1}{2 \hbar m \omega}( \hat {p}^{2} - i m \omega (\hat {x} \hat {p} - \hat {p} \hat {x}) + m^{2} \omega^{2} \hat {x}^{2})$$
And I know the commutator ##[\hat {x}, \hat {p}] = i \hbar##
$$ = \frac {1}{2 \hbar m \omega}( \hat {p}^{2} - i m \omega ( i \hbar) + m^{2} \omega^{2} \hat {x}^{2} )$$
At this point both the video and Griffiths stop, although each do something different
I have no idea how Griffiths goes from this
upload_2015-3-5_0-11-14.png

To this
upload_2015-3-5_0-14-12.png

I will continue with what I was doing,
$$ = \frac {1}{2 \hbar m \omega}( \hat {p}^{2} + m \omega \hbar + m^{2} \omega^{2} \hat {x}^{2})$$
$$ = \frac {1}{2 \hbar m \omega}\hat {p}^{2} + \frac {1}{2 \hbar^{2} m^{2} \omega^{2}} + \frac {m \omega \hat {x}^{2}}{2 \hbar} $$
And from here I am not sure how both the video and Griffiths conclude
upload_2015-3-5_0-14-34.png

How do I get to the answer from my steps? Since I am not skipping..
 
Attachments
  • upload_2015-3-5_0-11-41.png
    upload_2015-3-5_0-11-41.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 544
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maylis said:
I will continue with what I was doing,
=12ℏmω(p̂ 2+mω(iℏ)+m2ω2x̂ 2)​

= \frac {1}{2 \hbar m \omega}( \hat {p}^{2} + m \omega ( i \hbar) + m^{2} \omega^{2} \hat {x}^{2})


There is an i too much in the term in the middle
Maylis said:
=12ℏ[FONT=STIXGeneral-Italic]mωp[FONT=STIXGeneral-Regular]̂ 2+12[FONT=STIXVariants]ℏ[FONT=STIXGeneral-Regular]2[FONT=STIXGeneral-Italic]m[FONT=STIXGeneral-Regular]2[FONT=STIXGeneral-Italic]ω[FONT=STIXGeneral-Regular]2+[FONT=STIXGeneral-Italic]mωx[FONT=STIXGeneral-Regular]̂ 22[FONT=STIXVariants]ℏ


The term in the middle is again wrong...
Basically the last two equations you wrote before the Griffiths insert are wrong.
Once you have them right, you know that the Hamiltonian is
[tex]H=\dfrac{p^2}{2 m} + \dfrac{1}{2} m \omega^2 x^2[/tex]
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gfd43tg
Woops, I caught my error and now I am able to see how it was done. Thanks.