Lagrange Remainder for Taylor Expansion of ln(4/5) ≤ 1/1000?

  • Thread starter Thread starter peripatein
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lagrange Remainder
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
peripatein
Messages
868
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Homework Statement


I am trying to limit Lagrange's remainder on taylor expansion of ln(4/5) to be ≤ 1/1000.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I have tried using both ln(1+x), where x=-1/5 and x0(the center)=0, and ln(x), where x=4/5 and x0=1.
Every time I keep getting that (n+1)4n+1≥1000, leading to n ≥ 3.
But then, upon expansion up to the third power, I keep getting a result whose error is greater than the desired 1/1000. It appears the result should have been n≥4, but why so when algebra seems to prove it not to be the case?
I'd appreciate some advice. Obviously I am missing something.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I am rather surprised no one has replied. Is there anything amiss with my formulation of the problem?
 
peripatein said:
Every time I keep getting that (n+1)4n+1≥1000, leading to n ≥ 3.
Please post your working to that point.