1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimate Remainder of Taylor Series

1. May 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem \statement, all variables and given/known data

Estimate the error involved in using the first n terms for the function [tex] F(x) = \int_0^x e^{-t^2} dt [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am using the Lagrange form of the remainder. I need to know the n+1 derivative of e^(-t^2) but I found that the derivatives get more complicated as n increases, so I dropped that idea.

I rewrote the function like this:

[tex] \int_0^x e^{-t^2} dt = \int_0^x 1 - t^2 + \frac{t^4}{2!} - \frac{t^6}{3!} + ... + \frac{(-1)^n t^{2(n-1)}}{n!} + R_n [/tex]

I can easily integrate each term, and then the integral from 0 to x of R_n would be the remainder. Note that R_n is the remainder term for e^(-t^2), so right now I am trying what R_n is.

Rewriting e^(-t^2) as its Taylor series, I differentiated term by term for the first, second, third, etc derivative to see if I can find a general expression for the nth derivative, but I can't find one.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I was also thinking that if there is a constant value M such that all derivatives of F are bounded above by M, and I was able to find this value M, then there would be no problem obtaining an expression to estimate the remainder.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2009 #2
    Taylor expansion of an exponential is...

[tex]e^x = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

So you would replace x by -t^2...

[tex]e^{-t^2} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n t^{2n}}{n!}[/tex]

So you just need to integrate the term in the sum for n+1 to get the value for the next term...

[tex]\int_0^x \frac{(-1)^{(n+1)} t^{2(n+1)}}{(n+1)!} dt[/tex]

4. May 16, 2009 #3
    Ok, I just saw your edit, let me go work that out...

5. May 16, 2009 #4
    Oops, misread the question. Hah, so I can't help much, sorry.

6. May 16, 2009 #5
    EDIT: Just saw your new reply :(

I have an upperbound for the n+1 term though, does this help in finding an estimate for the remainder?

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  7. May 16, 2009 #6
    Well... See if this works...

[tex]F'(x) = e^{(-x^2)} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n x^{2n}}{n!}[/tex]

So the taylor expansion of the m'th derivative is...

[tex]F^m (x) = \sum_{n=m-1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{n!} \frac{(2n)!x^{2n-(m-1)}}{(2n-(m-1))!}[/tex]

Again, this could exactly what you are not asking for, hah. Just thought I'd throw this out there, just in case.

8. May 17, 2009 #7
    My expression for the vth derivative of e^(-t^2) is:

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n 2n(2n-1)(2n-2) \hdots (2n - v + 1) t^{2n - v}}{n!} [/tex]

It's pretty easy to find the Lagrange remainder term now, but it's written as an infinite series. How can I write it in a closed-form expression?

9. May 18, 2009 #8
    Bump...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook