1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian Mechanics - Kepler problem, Conservation

1. Jun 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Attached.
    2. Relevant equations
    I am assuming the coordinate transformation is [itex] \vec{x}' = \vec{x} + \alpha\vec{\gamma} [/itex] ?
    Then you have [itex] \vec{v}' = \vec{v} + \alpha\frac{d\vec{\gamma}}{dt} [/itex]
    And r is the magnitude of the x vector.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Part A.
    So to get the change in lagrangian, I put the primed v and x into the Lagrangian and subtracted the given lagrangian to get:
    [tex] \Delta L = \frac{1}{2}m|\vec{v} + \alpha\frac{d\vec{\gamma}}{dt}|^2 + \frac{k}{|\vec{x} + \alpha\vec{\gamma}|} - \frac{1}{2}m|v|^2 - \frac{k}{r} [/tex]

So following examples from class, I expand the vector magnitude terms and neglected the second order alpha quantity, which leaves me with

[tex] \Delta L = \frac{1}{2}m(2\alpha \vec{v} \cdot \frac{d\vec{\gamma}}{dt}) + \frac{k}{\sqrt{|\vec{x}|^2 + 2 \vec{x}\cdot\alpha\vec{\gamma}}} - \frac{k}{r} [/tex]

So I thought maybe to taylor expand the first k/r term up to first order alpha, after factoring out [itex] |\vec{x}|^2 [/itex]. And since |x| is r, i can cancel out the last k/r term. That leaves me with
    [tex] \Delta L = m(\alpha \vec{v} \cdot \frac{d\vec{\gamma}}{dt}) - \frac{k\alpha}{|\vec{x}|^3}(\vec{x}\cdot\vec{\gamma}) [/tex]

Now taking the derivative of gamma, and noting that dn/dt should be zero and that p cross dx/dt and dp/dt cross x should also be zero, I get for the final expression, plugging everything in

[tex] \Delta L = m\alpha[\vec{v} \cdot [\frac{d\vec{x}}{dt}\times( \vec{p}\times\hat{n}) + \vec{x} \times (\frac{d\vec{p}}{dt} \times \hat{n})]] - \frac{k\alpha}{|\vec{x}|^3} [\vec{x} \cdot [\hat{n} \times (\vec{p} \times \vec{x}) + \vec{x} \times (\vec{p} \times \hat{n})]] [/tex]

But from here, I don't really see how I could get it to equal part b, or if I even did the right process, I probably made a mistake in getting the difference, any tips?

Attached Files:

• a3.PNG
      a3.PNG
      File size:
      29.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2016 #2
    Just wanted to update saying I have solved this so it doesn't stay unanswered, by applying the BAC - CAB rule and then replacing dp/dt with the force you find from the given potential.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted