Lambert's Law differential equation

In summary, according to Lambert's law of absorption, the percentage of incident light absorbed by a thin layer of translucent material is proportional to the thickness of the layer. Using this law, we can determine that at a depth of 10 feet, sunlight falling vertically on ocean water is reduced to one-half its initial intensity. By setting up and solving a suitable differential equation, we can find that at a depth of 40 feet, the sunlight is reduced to one-sixteenth its initial intensity. However, there is a question about whether the law should say that the percentage of absorption is jointly proportional to both the thickness of the layer and the intensity of the light.
dgoncha
22. According to Lambert's law of absorption, the percentage of incident light absorbed by a thin layer of translucent material is proportional to the thickness of the layer. If sunlight falling vertically on ocean water is reduced to one-half its initial intensity at a depth of 10 feet, at what depth is it reduced to one-sixteenth its initial intensity? Solve this problem by merely thinking about it, and also by setting it up and solving a suitable differential equation.

From: Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes: Third Edition by George F. Simmons

I figured out the mental part and initially found that the equation for the intensity was I=1/2^(T/10) - (10, 1/2) , (40, 1/16). I had trouble finding a differential equation that match what was described and has the same solution. I went backward and got I=I0e^(ln(1/2)*T/10). I used this and got I=e^(ln(1/2)*T/10 + I0) -> ln(I)=ln(1/2)*T/10 + I0 -> ∫1/I dI = ∫ln(1/2)*1/10 dT -> ln(1/2) = k, 1/10 = n -> 1/I dI = kn dT -> dI = knI dT

I checked my answer, using (0, I0) as an initial value and it got me the same solution as I got mentally.

My question is shouldn't the question say, "the percentage of incident light absorbed by a thin layer of translucent material is jointly proportional to the thickness of the layer (T) and the intensity of the light (I)." Intuitively it seems to make sense that the intensity of a light would affect how much of it is absorbed as well as the thickness of the material.

Physics news on Phys.org
dgoncha said:
22. According to Lambert's law of absorption, the percentage of incident light absorbed by a thin layer of translucent material is proportional to the thickness of the layer. If sunlight falling vertically on ocean water is reduced to one-half its initial intensity at a depth of 10 feet, at what depth is it reduced to one-sixteenth its initial intensity? Solve this problem by merely thinking about it, and also by setting it up and solving a suitable differential equation.

From: Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes: Third Edition by George F. Simmons

I figured out the mental part and initially found that the equation for the intensity was I=1/2^(T/10) - (10, 1/2) , (40, 1/16). I had trouble finding a differential equation that match what was described and has the same solution. I went backward and got I=I0e^(ln(1/2)*T/10). I used this and got I=e^(ln(1/2)*T/10 + I0) -> ln(I)=ln(1/2)*T/10 + I0 -> ∫1/I dI = ∫ln(1/2)*1/10 dT -> ln(1/2) = k, 1/10 = n -> 1/I dI = kn dT -> dI = knI dT

I checked my answer, using (0, I0) as an initial value and it got me the same solution as I got mentally.

My question is shouldn't the question say, "the percentage of incident light absorbed by a thin layer of translucent material is jointly proportional to the thickness of the layer (T) and the intensity of the light (I)." Intuitively it seems to make sense that the intensity of a light would affect how much of it is absorbed as well as the thickness of the material.
Yes, but they don't talk about the intensity itself. They talk about the percentage of the intensity. So if the intensity absorption is linearly proportional to the intensity, the percentage is independent of the intensity. Check out the derivation

1. What is Lambert's Law differential equation?

Lambert's Law differential equation is a mathematical equation used in optics to describe the intensity of light passing through a medium. It states that the rate of change of intensity with respect to distance is proportional to the negative of the intensity itself.

2. Who was Lambert and why is his law important?

Johann Heinrich Lambert was a Swiss mathematician and physicist who first discovered the relationship between light intensity and distance. His law is important because it helps us understand how light behaves as it passes through different materials.

3. What is the mathematical formula for Lambert's Law differential equation?

The mathematical formula for Lambert's Law differential equation is dI/dx = -kI, where dI/dx represents the rate of change of intensity with respect to distance, k is a constant, and I represents the intensity of light.

4. How is Lambert's Law differential equation used in practical applications?

Lambert's Law differential equation is commonly used in fields such as optics, astronomy, and radiometry to calculate the intensity of light passing through different materials. It is also used in the design of lenses and other optical devices.

5. Are there any limitations or exceptions to Lambert's Law differential equation?

Yes, there are a few limitations and exceptions to Lambert's Law differential equation. It assumes that the medium through which light is passing is homogeneous and that the light is traveling in a straight line. It also does not account for light scattering or absorption, which can occur in some materials.