1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace equation in spherical coordinates

1. Nov 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve the Laplace equation inside a sphere, with the boundary condition:

\begin{equation}
    u(3,\theta,\phi) = \sin(\theta) \cos(\theta)^2 \sin(\phi)
    \end{equation}
    2. Relevant equations
    \begin{equation}
    \sum^{\infty}_{l=0} \sum^{m}_{m=0} (A_lr^l + B_lr^{-l -1})P_l^m(\cos \theta) [S_m\sin(m\phi) + C_m\cos(m\phi)]
    \end{equation}
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I have derived the general solution for the Laplace equation in spherical problems and that went okej. The problem is when I try to match it with the boundary conditions. If I use the method of identification it is imminently obvious that:
    \begin{equation}
    C_m=0, m=1 \text{ and that for} \quad l\neq1 \rightarrow A=0
    \end{equation}
    , m has to equal one so the arguments of sin is correct and A=0 so the solution does not blow up, when r approaches 0. Which means I have two different solutions: one where l=1 and another solution for all the rest of l´s. When l equals one the Legendre polynomials dose not match the boundary conditions so that solution can be discarded.

Which means that I have an equation that looks like:

\begin{equation}
    \sum^{\infty}_{l=0} ( B_l3^{-l -1})P_l^1(\cos \theta) S_1\sin(\phi) = \sin(\theta) \cos(\theta)^2 \sin(\phi)
    \end{equation}

When I look at table's for Legendre polynomials I do not find any that looks like it can solve my equation. I would really appreciate some guidance in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Typo: what is the upper limit of the summation over ##m##?

You are dealing with the interior of a sphere. So, you don't need to worry about ##r## going to infinity. However, what happens to ##r^{-l-1}## at the center of the sphere?

4. Nov 9, 2015 #3
    The upper limit of the summation is suppose to be l.

I have singularity there, so the constant B has to be zero. Thanks.

5. Nov 10, 2015 #4
    No one that can help me?

6. Nov 10, 2015 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks like now you just need to find the values of the ##A_l## coefficients by considering the boundary condition at r = 3. Look at a table of ##P_l^1(\cos \theta)## to see which ones can be used to obtain ##\sin \theta \cos^2 \theta##.

7. Nov 10, 2015 #6
    That is what I have trying to do, quite unsuccessfully so far. But I know now at least that this is the way to do it, so thank you.

8. Nov 10, 2015 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: Look at your boundary condition at r = 3 and compare to a table of associated Legendre polynomials.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  9. Nov 11, 2015 #8
    I think I solved it. Thanks for all the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted