Laplace equation in spherical coordinates

In summary, you are trying to solve a Laplace equation in a sphere and have a problem with matching the boundary conditions. You have two solutions, one where l=1 and another solution for all the rest of l´s. You need to find the values of the A_l coefficients by considering the boundary condition at r = 3.
Fgard

Homework Statement

Solve the Laplace equation inside a sphere, with the boundary condition:

\begin{equation}
u(3,\theta,\phi) = \sin(\theta) \cos(\theta)^2 \sin(\phi)
\end{equation}

Homework Equations

\begin{equation}
\sum^{\infty}_{l=0} \sum^{m}_{m=0} (A_lr^l + B_lr^{-l -1})P_l^m(\cos \theta) [S_m\sin(m\phi) + C_m\cos(m\phi)]
\end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

I have derived the general solution for the Laplace equation in spherical problems and that went okej. The problem is when I try to match it with the boundary conditions. If I use the method of identification it is imminently obvious that:
\begin{equation}
C_m=0, m=1 \text{ and that for} \quad l\neq1 \rightarrow A=0
\end{equation}
, m has to equal one so the arguments of sin is correct and A=0 so the solution does not blow up, when r approaches 0. Which means I have two different solutions: one where l=1 and another solution for all the rest of l´s. When l equals one the Legendre polynomials dose not match the boundary conditions so that solution can be discarded.

Which means that I have an equation that looks like:

\begin{equation}
\sum^{\infty}_{l=0} ( B_l3^{-l -1})P_l^1(\cos \theta) S_1\sin(\phi) = \sin(\theta) \cos(\theta)^2 \sin(\phi)
\end{equation}

When I look at table's for Legendre polynomials I do not find any that looks like it can solve my equation. I would really appreciate some guidance in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
\begin{equation}
\sum^{\infty}_{l=0} \sum^{m}_{m=0} (A_lr^l + B_lr^{-l -1})P_l^m(\cos \theta) [S_m\sin(m\phi) + C_m\cos(m\phi)]
\end{equation}
Typo: what is the upper limit of the summation over ##m##?

You are dealing with the interior of a sphere. So, you don't need to worry about ##r## going to infinity. However, what happens to ##r^{-l-1}## at the center of the sphere?

The upper limit of the summation is suppose to be l.

I have singularity there, so the constant B has to be zero. Thanks.

No one that can help me?

Looks like now you just need to find the values of the ##A_l## coefficients by considering the boundary condition at r = 3. Look at a table of ##P_l^1(\cos \theta)## to see which ones can be used to obtain ##\sin \theta \cos^2 \theta##.

That is what I have trying to do, quite unsuccessfully so far. But I know now at least that this is the way to do it, so thank you.

Hint: Look at your boundary condition at r = 3 and compare to a table of associated Legendre polynomials.

Attachments

• Assoc Legendre Polynomials.png
    Assoc Legendre Polynomials.png
    9 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
I think I solved it. Thanks for all the help!

1. What is Laplace equation in spherical coordinates?

The Laplace equation in spherical coordinates is a partial differential equation that describes the distribution of a scalar physical quantity in a three-dimensional space, where the coordinates are radial distance (r), polar angle (θ), and azimuthal angle (φ). It is used to solve problems involving electrostatics, fluid flow, and heat transfer.

2. What is the general form of Laplace equation in spherical coordinates?

The general form of Laplace equation in spherical coordinates is:
∇²Φ = 1/r² * (∂/∂r)(r²∂Φ/∂r) + 1/(r²sinθ) * (∂/∂θ)(sinθ∂Φ/∂θ) + 1/(r²sin²θ) * (∂²Φ/∂φ²) = 0
where Φ is the scalar quantity being studied and ∇² is the Laplace operator.

3. How is Laplace equation in spherical coordinates different from the Cartesian form?

In Cartesian coordinates, Laplace equation only involves the second derivatives of the scalar quantity in the x, y, and z directions. However, in spherical coordinates, the equation includes first and second derivatives with respect to r, θ, and φ, and also incorporates the trigonometric functions of the spherical coordinates.

4. What is the significance of Laplace equation in physics?

Laplace equation is one of the fundamental equations in physics and is used to describe many physical phenomena, such as electrostatics, fluid flow, and heat transfer. It is also important in solving boundary value problems and finding solutions to problems that involve symmetry in three-dimensional space.

5. Can Laplace equation be solved analytically in spherical coordinates?

Yes, Laplace equation in spherical coordinates can be solved analytically using separation of variables or other mathematical techniques. However, in more complex systems, numerical methods may be necessary to find a solution.