Laplace transform for system DFE

In summary: You just get a homogeneous equation with constant coefficients.In summary, this is a system of coupled differential equations that can be decoupled into a single second order differential equation, or can be solved using the Laplace transform method.
wxrebecca
dx/dt= -x+y
dy/dt= 2x
x(0)=0
y(0)=1

I'm not familiar how to solve a system like this. Somebody please help?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it an equation of one or several independent variables?

I think it's several independent variables. However, the question didn't say so

wxrebecca said:
I think it's several independent variables. However, the question didn't say so

Which of the following did it look like:

[itex]\frac{dx}{dt}=-x+y[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}=2x[/itex]

[itex]x(0)=0[/itex]

[itex]y(0)=1[/itex]

or

[itex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}=-x+y[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}=2x[/itex]

[itex]x(0)=0[/itex]

[itex]y(0)=1[/itex]

mjpam said:
Which of the following did it look like:

[itex]\frac{dx}{dt}=-x+y[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}=2x[/itex]

[itex]x(0)=0[/itex]

[itex]y(0)=1[/itex]

or

[itex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}=-x+y[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}=2x[/itex]

[itex]x(0)=0[/itex]

[itex]y(0)=1[/itex]

it's the first one.
but what's the differences between these two exactly?

I'm not sure why mjpam asked the question in the first place. The only differentiation is with respect to t so even if there were other (unstated) independent variables, it would make no difference to the solution. If solutions to differential equations (and other problems) depended on variables we knew nothing about, we would never be able to solve any problem!

wxrebecca, you titled this "Laplace transform for system DFE". If you really are required to use Laplace transform, then, you just take the Laplace transform of each equation, [itex]L(dx/dt)= -L(x)+ L(y)[/itex] and [itex]L(dy/dt)= 2L(x)[/itex]. That will reduce to two algebraic equations for L(x) and L(y). Once you have solved for those, use a transform table to find x and y as functions of t.

Personally, I have never liked Laplace transform. What I would do is differentiate the first equation again:
[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= -\frac{dx}{dt}+ \frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]
From the second equation, dy/dt= 2x so that equation is
[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= -\frac{dx}{dt}+ 2x[/tex]
or
[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}+ \frac{dx}{dt}- 2x= 0[/tex]
a second order linear equation with constant coefficients. Once you have solved that, you can use the fact that
[tex]y= \frac{dx}{dt}+ x[/tex]
from the first equation to solve for y.

HallsofIvy said:
I'm not sure why mjpam asked the question in the first place. The only differentiation is with respect to t so even if there were other (unstated) independent variables, it would make no difference to the solution. If solutions to differential equations (and other problems) depended on variables we knew nothing about, we would never be able to solve any problem!

If y is a function of x,

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^2}[/itex]

It seems to simplify the equation.

Write it as this
[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
\dot x(t)\\ \dot y(t)
\end{pmatrix}=
\begin{bmatrix}
-1 &1\\2 &0
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
x(t) \\y(t)
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Just like in the scalar case the solution of this differential equation is given as
[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
x(t)\\y(t)
\end{pmatrix} = e^{At}
\begin{pmatrix}
x(0)\\y(0)
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
So you have to find the matrix exponential and you are done. It is not element by element exponantiation by the way. I'll leave that to you.

wxrebecca said:
dx/dt= -x+y
dy/dt= 2x
x(0)=0
y(0)=1

I'm not familiar how to solve a system like this. Somebody please help?

Thanks

HallsofIvy has solved your problem. You just need to take the Laplace transform of both equations, and use the expressions for the laplce transform of the derivative of a function:

[tex]\mathcal{L}(dy/dt) = sY(s) - y(0)[/tex]

This is a system of coupled equations. You can either decouple them, and get one equation (in x or y) which is of second order, or you can solve them by taking the Laplace transform of each, and expressing X(s) in terms of Y(s) or vice versa.

If you decouple them to get a second order equation (in say x) you must know x(0) and x'(0). You can get x'(0) from the first differential equation by plugging in the known values of x(0) and y(0). You already know x(0). There is no need to do a matrix exponential.

1. What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical technique used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze systems and solve differential equations.

2. How does the Laplace transform relate to system DFE?

The Laplace transform is often used in the analysis of system DFE (Digital Front End), which is a type of signal processing system used in communication systems. The transform helps to simplify the analysis of the system's behavior and performance.

3. What are the benefits of using Laplace transform for system DFE?

The use of Laplace transform for system DFE allows for a more efficient and accurate analysis of the system's behavior and performance. It also helps in designing and optimizing the system for better performance.

4. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transform for system DFE?

One limitation of using Laplace transform for system DFE is that it assumes the system is linear and time-invariant. This may not always be the case in real-world systems, which can lead to inaccuracies in the analysis.

5. How is Laplace transform used in the design of system DFE?

The Laplace transform is used in the design of system DFE to determine the transfer function of the system, which describes how the input signal is transformed into the output signal. This helps in optimizing the system's performance and ensuring it meets certain design specifications.