Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplacian = tr(H)

1. Feb 19, 2010 #1
    Stupid thing I noticed today:

[tex]\nabla^2 U=tr(H(U))[/tex]

Or, in other words, the Laplacian of a function is just the trace of its Hessian matrix. Whoop-de-frickin do, right? Is this useful knowledge or should I forget it immediately?

N!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2010 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is not true in curvilinear coordinates.

4. Feb 19, 2010 #3
    But then isn't the 'Hessian' a tensor with co/contravariant components? is the trace even defined for tensors like that? And how is a differential operator like [tex]\nabla^2[/tex] even defined in a nonlinear coordinate system? (Genuine questions, I'm just starting to learn tensors and differential geometry and whatnot...)

5. Feb 19, 2010 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Feb 19, 2010 #5
    okay, cool. thanks!!

would the trace of an arbitrary tensor be [tex]\sum_{i}{A_{ii...i}}[/tex] i.e. summing over the elements of the tensor with identical indicies? For tensors rank>2 'diagonal' is sort of vague, or does 'diagonal' always mean 'elements with the same index'? I guess this doesn't have anything to do with the original question...thanks again Ben!

7. Feb 19, 2010 #6

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tensor traces are taken by contracting any two indices with the metric tensor. The result will be a tensor whose rank has been reduced by 2. For example, the Ricci tensor is the trace of the Riemann tensor on the 1st and 3rd indices:

[tex]R_{bd} = g^{ac} R_{abcd}[/tex]

and then the scalar curvature is the trace of the Ricci tensor, or the double trace of the Riemann tensor:

[tex]R = g^{bd} R_{bd} = g^{ac} g^{bd} R_{abcd}[/tex].

In flat space, the metric tensor is just the identity matrix, so this reduces to the more familiar definition of the trace.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook