Laptop lcd is cheap but external lcd so exp?

In summary, laptop LCD screens are generally cheaper compared to external monitors because they are smaller and do not contain additional components such as video converters. The price difference is mostly due to marketing strategies. It is often more cost effective to get a new laptop or external monitor rather than replacing a laptop LCD screen. Additionally, LCD screens do not experience "burn-in" like CRTs. This conversation took place over eight years ago and many of the participants have moved on.
suffian
Why are laptop lcds (which can go up 1900x1280 or so) seemingly so cheap compared to external monitors?

For example, I can buy a high grade dell laptop for about 2000 (w/1900x1200 screen) but if I want to get an external lcd screen at just 1600x1200, it will be over 2000 for just the screen itself.

What's going on?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I've often wondered about that too. I suppose you might be getting a TV tuner with the stand-alone but I don't think this is really the answer. You can get a pretty good used laptop for the price of many new stand-alones and have lots more functionality.

Laptop screens are usually much smaller, right?

Marketing. Its all marketing. If you go to the computer section of Best Buy, you can buy a 15" lcd display for ~$300. If you go to the TV section of Best Buy, you can buy a 15" lcd tv for ~$1200. The difference? A $30 tv tuner and $870 of marketing.

the screen itself (laptop screens sold for parts) are cheep because they don't contain anything but that one part

the lcds sold as monitors cost more because they have video converters built in that does all that really complicated work that needs to be done before it can be displayed (NOT like a video card, and pretty difficult to build on newer screens like active matrix)

plus there getting us good with marketing

I had a nasty feeling it was marketing..but hoped for something more...

...That's what happens every time I put my faith into something and try to think positive, dissapointment.

If you think a laptop LCD screen is cheap, try ordering a replacement one. It's usually more cost effective to get a new laptop, or at least an external monitor.

That seems more likely to be a backlight issue than 'burn-in'... LCD monitors don't really 'burn' (permanently) the way that CRTs do.

The post preceding yours is almost eight years old.

jtbell said:
The post preceding yours is almost eight years old.

Are you implying that in some way CRTs have given way to generations of plasma, lcd, e-ink, and LED/OLED screens?! Here I thought the OP was going to get the answer... I mean, virtually everyone who was here then has moved on (judging by the font of names), but I'm sure it's touching to be randomly remembered. I've never seen such a powerful thread necromancer! :wink:

What is the difference between a laptop LCD and an external LCD?

A laptop LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) is the built-in screen on a laptop, while an external LCD is a separate monitor that can be connected to the laptop through a cable or wirelessly.

Why is an external LCD more expensive than a laptop LCD?

An external LCD typically has better display quality and larger screen size compared to a laptop LCD. Additionally, the cost of manufacturing and designing an external LCD is higher due to its standalone nature.

Can I use an external LCD as a replacement for a broken laptop LCD?

Yes, most external LCDs are compatible with laptops and can be used as a replacement for a broken laptop LCD. However, it is important to check the compatibility and connection options before purchasing.

Are there any benefits to using an external LCD over a laptop LCD?

Yes, using an external LCD can provide a larger and clearer display, making it ideal for tasks that require detailed graphics or multiple windows to be open simultaneously. It also allows for a more ergonomic setup, as the screen can be positioned at eye level.

Are there any drawbacks to using an external LCD instead of a laptop LCD?

One drawback is the additional cost of purchasing an external LCD. Additionally, it may require additional desk space and setup time compared to a laptop LCD. However, these drawbacks may be outweighed by the benefits for certain tasks or preferences.