Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Large Scale Uncertainty Principle

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I was watching Through the Wormhole two weeks ago (I think it was a re-run), and they were talking about the uncertainty principle, and how it was impossible to prove due to the change in momentum of a particle when hit with an observation device, such as light. I think the guy was using protons, and it was some sort of chip assembly, with a main channel and a rudder going off to the side.

Does anybody know what I am referring to? Whoever worked on this, or the reference to which episode it was would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Chris

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I can't see it being incorrect. I believe it is the explanation for quantum tunneling, a very useful and important phenomena. I don't know if that counts as "proving" it or not.

4. Sep 16, 2011 #3

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Uncertainty Principle has mounds of experimental support. The idea that there is some issue with the observing apparatus (i.e. imparting some change) has been soundly discredited.

5. Oct 31, 2011 #4
    see this large scale uncertainty

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook