Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Largest sphere in the space between dense packed spheres

Tags:
  1. Jul 14, 2018 #1
    If I consider a tetrahedron of four densely packed spheres of unit radius, what it the radius of the largest sized sphere that can fit in the space in between?
    FCC_closed_packing_tetrahedron_(4).jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2018 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

Well, since this is PF, the inevitable reply is: what did you do so far to find it ?
    Did you alredy draw the tetrahedron in the usual manner (lines) ?

4. Jul 14, 2018 #3
    I didn't know where to start, whether drawing a tetrahedron and 2D circles is relevant.

5. Jul 14, 2018 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

If you have a better idea, follow that !

6. Jul 14, 2018 #5

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed, as it is a homework type question.

A reminder: To qualify as homework merely the problem itself is taken into account, not its real life origin, which we cannot know anything about. So if a problem is of numerical nature or involves an otherwise special example, then it's likely homework. We request our users of the homework section to use and fill out the template, which will automatically be inserted there, esp. part 3, which covers own efforts. It helps us a lot in order to solve the obstacles the user might have.

Thank you.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook