Newton's experimental law -- Questions about the collision of two spheres

In summary, The problem involves two smooth spheres A and B of equal radius and masses m and 4m respectively, moving on a smooth horizontal surface. They are projected directly towards each other with equal speeds u and collide. The speed of B immediately after impact with A can be calculated using the equation u(3-2e)/5. The direction of motion after the collision can be determined by conservation of momentum and the constraints on energy conservation. The initial momentum of the system is mu and the final momentum can be -mVa+4mVb or mVa+4mVb, but the latter scenario is physically impossible. The direction of the smaller mass A must be reversed because the total momentum is in the direction of motion of
hendrix7
TL;DR Summary
Impact problems involving conservation of momentum and law of restitution help needed please.
The following is from the 2018 AQA AS Further Maths/Mechanics Paper 2 exam:

'Two smooth spheres A and B of equal radius are free to move on a smooth horizontal surface. The masses of A and B are m and 4m respectively. The coefficient of restitution between the spheres is e. The spheres are projected directly towards each other, each with speed u, and subsequently collide.
(a) Show that the speed of B immediately after the impact with A is u(3 - 2e)/5'

I have 2 questions regarding this problem:
1) Since momentum is a vector and we don't know the direction of motion of either sphere following collision, how can we form the equation with the correct signs?
2) Newton's experimental law does not involve vectors but I believe I still need to know whether to add or subtract the speeds on separation. Again, since we don't know the direction of either sphere on separation, how do we form this equation with the correct signs?
Thanks for any help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hendrix7 said:
Summary:: Impact problems involving conservation of momentum and law of restitution help needed please.

The following is from the 2018 AQA AS Further Maths/Mechanics Paper 2 exam:

'Two smooth spheres A and B of equal radius are free to move on a smooth horizontal surface. The masses of A and B are m and 4m respectively. The coefficient of restitution between the spheres is e. The spheres are projected directly towards each other, each with speed u, and subsequently collide.
(a) Show that the speed of B immediately after the impact with A is u(3 - 2e)/5'

I have 2 questions regarding this problem:
1) Since momentum is a vector and we don't know the direction of motion of either sphere following collision, how can we form the equation with the correct signs?

The direction of motion after the collision is determined by conservation of momentum - and the constraints on energy conservation. In other words, you can work out the final velocities if you want.

hendrix7 said:
2) Newton's experimental law does not involve vectors but I believe I still need to know whether to add or subtract the speeds on separation. Again, since we don't know the direction of either sphere on separation, how do we form this equation with the correct signs?

Momentum is a vector, yes, and if you work in a single dimension then you are working with a single component. That is to say for a closed system ##\sum \vec{p}_i## is a conserved quantity, but so is ##\sum p_{i,x}##, where ##\vec{p}_i = p_{i,x}\hat{x}## and the ##x## axis is chosen to be oriented along the line of the motion.

In this question, call the final ##x## components of velocity ##v_{A,x}## and ##v_{B,x}##. In Classical Physics, if the motion is in one dimension, then the speed of separation is equal to the magnitude of the relative velocity. Since ##v_{B,x} > v_{A,x}##, the speed of separation will just be ##v_{B,x} - v_{A,x}##.

PeroK said:
The direction of motion after the collision is determined by conservation of momentum - and the constraints on energy conservation. In other words, you can work out the final velocities if you want.
It is a three body collision. We do not know the coefficient of restitution with respect to the third body.

Edit: oops.

jbriggs444 said:
It is a three body collision. We do not know the coefficient of restitution with respect to the third body.
What's the third body?

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
What's the third body?
The surface.

Edit: scrapes egg off face.

jbriggs444 said:
The surface.

But the surface is smooth and the motion rectilinear?

etotheipi said:
But the surface is smooth and the motion rectilinear?
The motion following the collision is not necessarily horizontal since the collision angle is not horizontal.
Aww, shoot. Unequal masses, not unequal radii.

Likes etotheipi
jbriggs444 said:
Aww, shoot. Unequal masses, not unequal radii.

That is a good follow up question though! I dare say it's a little bit tricky for AS level :wink:

Likes jbriggs444 and PeroK
PeroK said:
Thanks for reply.
You say that direction of motion is determined by conservation of momentum but how do I know if A continues moving in the same direction or motion is reversed? So:
initial momentum (i.e. just before collision) = mu
final momentum (after collision) could be: -mVa + 4mVb or mVa + 4mVb and the question doesn't tell me which it should be.

hendrix7 said:
Thanks for reply.
You say that direction of motion is determined by conservation of momentum but how do I know if A continues moving in the same direction or motion is reversed? So:
final momentum (after collision) could be: -mVa + 4mVb or mVa + 4mVb and the question doesn't tell me which it should be.
You know the direction of the smaller mass ##A## must be reversed because the total momentum is in the direction of motion of the larger object. If ##A## keeps going in its original direction then the heavier object ##B## must change direction, which fails conservation of momentum.

Note, however, there is a mathematical solution were both objects pass through each other. That is a valid mathematical solution that you have to reject on the physical grounds that the objects are solid.

Finally, can you see an argument (based on energy) to show that the larger mass ##B## cannot change direction?

Likes etotheipi
hendrix7 said:

Is this right? Remember it is the momentum of the system of both particles that is conserved.

hendrix7 said:

You don't need to know what directions they move in. You can just work with the ##x## component ##v_{Ax}## which can be determined to be ##\pm v_A## later on.

etotheipi said:
Is this right? Remember it is the momentum of the system of both particles that is conserved.
You don't need to know what directions they move in. You can just work with the ##x## component ##v_{Ax}## which can be determined to be ##\pm v_A## later on.
Thank you etotheipi for spotting my mistake. The initial momentum should be 5mu, I believe. I mistakenly thought B was initially at rest.

hendrix7 said:
Thank you etotheipi for spotting my mistake. The initial momentum should be 5mu, I believe. I mistakenly thought B was initially at rest.
The initial total momentum is not ##5mu## either. Remember you said momentum is a vector quantity.

PeroK said:
The initial total momentum is not ##5mu## either. Remember you said momentum is a vector quantity.

My bad. Third time lucky: 3mu or -3mu depending on + direction chosen. Am I right now?

Likes etotheipi and PeroK
PeroK said:
You know the direction of the smaller mass ##A## must be reversed because the total momentum is in the direction of motion of the larger object. If ##A## keeps going in its original direction then the heavier object ##B## must change direction, which fails conservation of momentum.

Note, however, there is a mathematical solution were both objects pass through each other. That is a valid mathematical solution that you have to reject on the physical grounds that the objects are solid.

Finally, can you see an argument (based on energy) to show that the larger mass ##B## cannot change direction?
No, I can't see it. Do you mean using conservation of energy?

hendrix7 said:
No, I can't see it. Do you mean using conservation of energy?
Using the fact that the total kinetic energy cannot increase as a result of the collision.

Hint: first look at what happens if the larger mass stops. Can you show that is impossible? Then, show that if the larger mass ends up changing direction then that is even more impossible!

PeroK said:
Using the fact that the total kinetic energy cannot increase as a result of the collision.

Hint: first look at what happens if the larger mass stops. Can you show that is impossible? Then, show that if the larger mass ends up changing direction then that is even more impossible!
But kinetic energy doesn't have direction. We square the velocity, don't we?

hendrix7 said:
But kinetic energy doesn't have direction. We square the velocity, don't we?
Let me show you what I mean. We have two masses, ##m## and ##4m## moving towards each other with equal speed ##u## (equal and opposite velocity). Let's take the direction of ##M## as positive.

The initial momentum is ##3mu## and the initial KE is ##\frac 5 2 mu^2##.

Now let's assume that mass ##4m## stops as a result of the collision. That means that the mass ##m## now has all the momentum. If we take its velocity to be ##v## we see that:
$$mv = 3mu, \ \ \text{hence} \ \ v = 3u$$
And the total KE after the collison is ##\frac 9 2 mu^2##, which is more than it was before.

Finally, if the large mass rebounds, then it has some negative momentum (plus some KE), the small mass must have even more momentum, hence even more KE and again we have more energy after the collision than before.

Therefore, in this case, the large mass cannot stop or rebound but must be moving in the same direction after the collision.

That's one way to establish the direction of motion of the large mass after the collision.

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
Let me show you what I mean. We have two masses, ##m## and ##4m## moving towards each other with equal speed ##u## (equal and opposite velocity). Let's take the direction of ##M## as positive.

The initial momentum is ##3mu## and the initial KE is ##\frac 5 2 mu^2##.

Now let's assume that mass ##4m## stops as a result of the collision. That means that the mass ##m## now has all the momentum. If we take its velocity to be ##v## we see that:
$$mv = 3mu, \ \ \text{hence} \ \ v = 3u$$
And the total KE after the collison is ##\frac 9 2 mu^2##, which is more than it was before.

Finally, if the large mass rebounds, then it has some negative momentum (plus some KE), the small mass must have even more momentum, hence even more KE and again we have more energy after the collision than before.

Therefore, in this case, the large mass cannot stop or rebound but must be moving in the same direction after the collision.

That's one way to establish the direction of motion of the large mass after the collision.
Thank you so much for this explanation. I understand all that and it never occurred to me to look at these problems in these terms. Do you think the question I originally posted, and others similarly worded, expected candidates to look at the problem with these considerations?

hendrix7 said:
Thank you so much for this explanation. I understand all that and it never occurred to me to look at these problems in these terms. Do you think the question I originally posted, and others similarly worded, expected candidates to look at the problem with these considerations?

@PeroK has given you some very good insight, but if you do flick through the mark schemes you will see they just expect you to work with the components. You will notice that these sorts of questions are quite formulaic: write one equation for momentum, write one equation for coefficient of restitution, solve the system. You don't need to determine what the directions will be, they just fall out of the equations.

Likes pbuk and PeroK
hendrix7 said:
I don't know. You could do what I did (I just like to figure out what's happening first, if I can, before writing down lots of equations). You could do it using vector equations. You could use the centre of momentum frame. You could use the rest frame of the large mass. Or the rest frame of the small mass. There are a lot of options.

It never hurts to have more than one way to solve a problem!

etotheipi said:
@PeroK has given you some very good insight, but if you do flick through the mark schemes you will see they just expect you to work with the components. You will notice that these sorts of questions are quite formulaic: write one equation for momentum, write one equation for coefficient of restitution, solve the system. You don't need to determine what the directions will be, they just fall out of the equations.

That's a good point. I was responding to the original doubt about how to tackle the problem without knowing the final directions of motion.

You're right that you don't need to know this in advance. You can just trust the vector equations.

Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
That's what I thought but now, after looking at this question and a couple of others that are similar, I'm not so sure. Like I say in my original post, how do I know whether to add or subtract the speeds of separation without some knowledge of directions? I'll get different answers depending on what I choose, won't I?

Likes PeroK
hendrix7 said:
That's what I thought but now, after looking at this question and a couple of others that are similar, I'm not so sure. Like I say in my original post, how do I know whether to add or subtract the speeds of separation without some knowledge of directions? I'll get different answers depending on what I choose, won't I?
I just had a look at this. I suggest you do have to confirm first that the small mass rebounds (changes direction). You don't have to worry about the direction of the large mass.

hendrix7 said:

Well a speed of approach/separation is strictly greater or equal to zero. If ball B is on the right of ball A and ##\hat{x}## points to the right, the speed of approach will be the velocity of ball A moving to the right in the frame of ball B (##u_{Ax} - u_{Bx}##), and after the collision the speed of separation will be the velocity of ball B moving to the right in the frame of ball A (##v_{Bx} - v_{Ax}##).

hendrix7 said:
PS the good thing about using the centre of momentum frame is that both masses definitely rebound. Then you really know where you are!

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
PS the good thing about using the centre of momentum frame is that both masses definitely rebound. Then you really know where you are!

@hendrix7 if you haven't seen this before, here's how to use the CoM frame:

The velocity of the CoM frame is given by total momentum divided by total mass, so ##V_{CoM} = \frac{3u}{5}##.

In that frame the velocities of the masses are: ##u - \frac{3u}{5} = \frac{2u}{5}## for the large mass, and ##-u - \frac{3u}{5} = -\frac{8u}{5}## for the small mass.

The next bit is easy. The velocities after the collision must be respectively: ##-\frac{2ue}{5}## and ##+\frac{8ue}{5}##. This is because the total momentum is zero in this frame.

Then we add back on ##\frac{3u}{5}## to get velocities in the original frame. This gives the velocity of the large mass as ## - \frac{2ue}{5} + \frac{3u}{5} = \frac{u(3-2e)}{5}##.

hendrix7 said:
how can we form the equation with the correct signs?
Just choose which directions are positive for which variables and be consistent.
No need to figure out the directions separately in advance, nor involve energy, nor go to the CoM frame.

Taking 4m as being initially in the positive direction for all velocities, and writing the final velocities as v1 and v4:
NEL: (u-(-u))e = v1 - v4
Momentum: 4u-u = v1 + 4v4
Subtracting first from second:
3u - 2ue = 5v4

PeroK said:
I just like to figure out what's happening first, if I can, before writing down lots of equations
"Never make a calculation until you know the answer"
John Archibald Wheeler

Likes etotheipi

1. What is Newton's experimental law?

Newton's experimental law, also known as the law of restitution, states that when two objects collide, the ratio of their final velocities is equal to the negative ratio of their initial velocities. In other words, the relative speed of the objects after the collision is equal to the negative relative speed before the collision.

2. How does Newton's experimental law apply to the collision of two spheres?

In the case of two spheres colliding, Newton's experimental law can be used to determine the velocities of the spheres after the collision. By measuring the initial velocities and the coefficient of restitution (a measure of the elasticity of the objects), the final velocities can be calculated using the law of restitution.

3. What factors affect the collision of two spheres?

The collision of two spheres can be affected by several factors, including the initial velocities of the spheres, the mass and size of the spheres, and the coefficient of restitution. Other factors such as the surface material and the angle of collision may also play a role.

4. How is the coefficient of restitution determined in a collision experiment?

The coefficient of restitution can be determined by measuring the initial and final velocities of the spheres in a controlled collision experiment. The ratio of the final and initial velocities can then be used to calculate the coefficient of restitution, which is a number between 0 and 1.

5. Can Newton's experimental law be applied to real-world collisions?

Yes, Newton's experimental law can be applied to real-world collisions. This law is commonly used in sports such as billiards and tennis to predict the motion of objects after a collision. It is also used in engineering and physics to study the behavior of objects during collisions.