Laser cooling, varying magnetic field.

In summary, the article "Laser Deceleration of an Atomic Beam" by William D. Phillips discusses the use of laser deceleration to cool atoms to a constant resonance with a fixed frequency cooling laser. The Zeeman effect is used to tune the decelerating atoms and produce selection rules and shifts that prevent optical pumping. However, the exact mechanism of how the Zeeman effect changes the selection rules is not clear. The measurement of velocity is done through the use of an analysing laser, which takes the fluorescence emitted by the excited atoms and focuses it onto a photodetector. This fluorescence is related to the velocity through the Doppler shift.
sc86
Okay, I have been reading the article Laser Deceleration of an Atomic Beam by William D. Phillips see attachment.
But I have a few problems:

1. Optical Pumping.
On page 1, 2. column they write:
The field both Zeeman tunes the decelerating atoms into constant resonance with the fixed frequency cooling laser and produces selection rules and Zeeman shifts that strongly discriminate against optical pumping.

I don't quite get the last part. How can the Zeeman effect change the selection rules?

2. Messurement of the velocity.
They decribe how they get the signals A (cooled atoms) and B (not cooled atoms), but how do the analysing laser work, when it messures the fluorescence?
And how is this fluorescence related to the velocity?

Hope some of you can give me a helping hand here.
/Stefan

Attachments

• artikel10-2008.pdf
    651.3 KB · Views: 200
Physics news on Phys.org
sc86 said:
I don't quite get the last part. How can the Zeeman effect change the selection rules?

This is a homework problem?

I'm not entirely sure about the "field produces selection rules" part, it has been over 10 years since I worked in this area. It might help to know what F is for the unused hyperfine ground state (the one for which there is concern about being optically pumped into). Do you know F for this state?

sc86 said:
They decribe how they get the signals A (cooled atoms) and B (not cooled atoms), but how do the analysing laser work, when it messures the fluorescence?
In Fig. 1, it appears that a lens is used to take the fluorescence (spontaneously emitted light, due to excitation by the analysing laser) and focus it onto a photodetector of some kind.

And how is this fluorescence related to the velocity?

It is related to the Doppler shift.

1. What is laser cooling and how does it work?

Laser cooling is a process in which atoms or molecules are slowed down and cooled to extremely low temperatures using laser light. The process works by using carefully tuned lasers to manipulate the motion of atoms, causing them to lose energy and slow down.

2. What are the potential applications of laser cooling?

Laser cooling has many potential applications in various fields such as quantum computing, precision measurements, and ultracold chemistry. It can also be used to create new states of matter and study fundamental physics.

3. How does varying magnetic field affect laser cooling?

Varying magnetic fields can be used to control the motion of atoms during the laser cooling process. By changing the strength and direction of the magnetic field, scientists can manipulate the energy levels of the atoms and further cool them down.

4. What are the limitations of laser cooling?

One limitation of laser cooling is that it can only cool atoms down to a certain temperature, known as the Doppler limit. This is because the atoms continue to emit heat as they are cooled, making it difficult to reach absolute zero. Another limitation is that it requires highly precise and expensive equipment.

5. How does laser cooling compare to other cooling methods?

Laser cooling is one of the most effective methods for cooling atoms to low temperatures. It is able to cool atoms down to much lower temperatures than other methods, such as evaporative cooling. However, it is also more complex and expensive to implement.