1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser cooling, varying magnetic field.

1. Jun 11, 2008 #1
    Okay, I have been reading the article Laser Deceleration of an Atomic Beam by William D. Phillips see attachment.
    But I have a few problems:

1. Optical Pumping.
    On page 1, 2. column they write:
    I dont quite get the last part. How can the Zeeman effect change the selection rules?

2. Messurement of the velocity.
    They decribe how they get the signals A (cooled atoms) and B (not cooled atoms), but how do the analysing laser work, when it messures the fluorescence?
    And how is this fluorescence related to the velocity?

Hope some of you can give me a helping hand here.
    /Stefan

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a homework problem???

I'm not entirely sure about the "field produces selection rules" part, it has been over 10 years since I worked in this area. It might help to know what F is for the unused hyperfine ground state (the one for which there is concern about being optically pumped into). Do you know F for this state?

4. Jun 13, 2008 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In Fig. 1, it appears that a lens is used to take the fluorescence (spontaneously emitted light, due to excitation by the analysing laser) and focus it onto a photodetector of some kind.

It is related to the Doppler shift.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?