Laser safety / measuring errors question

In summary: What does "it makes it more difficult to find the center" mean?Dust can broaden the maxima a bit but it shouldn't shift their central position. It makes it more difficult to find the center - this is an uncertainty you...Finding the center of the maxima would be difficult with dust scattered around.
chef99

Homework Statement

a) If you were using a hands –on activity to verify your predictions and use measurements to determine the wavelength of the laser being used, describe any safety precautions you would have to take and sources of error that you might encounter. Be sure to explain how you might reduce the effects of the sources of error.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

First, it is of the utmost importance to be wearing appropriate protective eyewear, meeting or exceeding the minimum optical density protection required for the laser being used. Despite appropriate eye protection, it is still necessary to avoid contact with the laser. This can be achieved through beam path or and/or beam enclosures, and the testing area should be inspected for any glossy or potentially reflective surfaces to eliminate the potential of unwanted reflections, as the light beam could unintentionally reflect into someone's eyes.

The main potential source for error would be slight inaccuracies in measurement, as unless the experiment was done in a vacuum, the light would spread out slightly, making precise hand-taken measurements difficult. A solution to minimize inaccuracies would be to take each measurement multiple times and determine the average.

I'm not sure if the sources of error/how to prevent is right, any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
chef99 said:
The main potential source for error would be slight inaccuracies in measurement
Inaccuracies in measurement of what?
How would the light spreading out influence the measurement (of the wavelength?), and why wouldn't that be an issue in vacuum?
chef99 said:
A solution to minimize inaccuracies would be to take each measurement multiple times and determine the average.
That can reduce some but not all uncertainty sources.

To help with the second part, you first have to describe what you measure how, otherwise it is impossible to tell where uncertainties come from.

Concerning the laser safety: There is more you can do, what is necessary will depend on the power of the laser. Make sure it is clearly visible in the room when the laser is on (especially if the laser is outside the visible range), make sure it cannot be switched on unless [whatever safety measure you want], and so on.

mfb said:
Inaccuracies in measurement of what?
How would the light spreading out influence the measurement (of the wavelength?), and why wouldn't that be an issue in vacuum?That can reduce some but not all uncertainty sources.

To help with the second part, you first have to describe what you measure how, otherwise it is impossible to tell where uncertainties come from.

Concerning the laser safety: There is more you can do, what is necessary will depend on the power of the laser. Make sure it is clearly visible in the room when the laser is on (especially if the laser is outside the visible range), make sure it cannot be switched on unless [whatever safety measure you want], and so on.

I assumed measurements would be taken by hand, which generally leads to slight inaccuracies, especially if measurements are small (in mm). If a light isn't traveling in a vacuum, does that not increase the chance that it experiences diffuse reflection off of particles that may be present? I could be completely wrong, this is just what I thought.
So for laser safety add the importance of visual warning of the laser being on/off?

Measurements of what, using which instrument in which way?

Light can scatter from dust particles, sure, but it is unclear if that has any impact on your measurement. It is not even clear what you measured here.
chef99 said:
So for laser safety add the importance of visual warning of the laser being on/off?
Depends on the laser, but in general that is a good idea.

mfb said:
Measurements of what, using which instrument in which way?

Light can scatter from dust particles, sure, but it is unclear if that has any impact on your measurement. It is not even clear what you measured here.
Depends on the laser, but in general that is a good idea.

Well, what is measured would probably depend on what the experiment was trying to determine, but it would usually be the distance between the fringes I'd imagine. I thought that if the light was affected by as you say, dust particles or something similar, the light hitting the screen would be diffused, and thus increasing the width of the fringe, which would decrease the measurement from the actual fringe distance. I guess I was making a bit of a generalization in the original answer, but this is really the only thing I could think of that would potentially cause errors in measurement (of the fringes).

From your last post I infer that you want to measure the wavelength using a diffraction grating? Why didn't you write that?

Dust can broaden the maxima a bit but it shouldn't shift their central position. It makes it more difficult to find the center - this is an uncertainty you should consider. The properties of the diffraction grating and its alignment will introduce additional uncertainty sources. All these things are impossible to know if you don't describe the setup.

mfb said:
From your last post I infer that you want to measure the wavelength using a diffraction grating? Why didn't you write that?

Dust can broaden the maxima a bit but it shouldn't shift their central position. It makes it more difficult to find the center - this is an uncertainty you should consider. The properties of the diffraction grating and its alignment will introduce additional uncertainty sources. All these things are impossible to know if you don't describe the setup.

I apologize for the vague setup, however, I am merely going off what the problem question says. I have mostly been learning experiments using diffraction gratings, so that is really my understanding of these types of setups. I realize now the question doesn't specify the type of experiment, just experiments using lasers in general. I guess the question is asking for sources of error that would be encountered in any experiment? This is partly why I'm having trouble with this question as I don't really know what the sources of error would be unless there are some general sources for all experiments.

Last edited:
chef99 said:
I guess the question is asking for sources of error that would be encountered in any experiment?
"Errors with everything measured and everything that can influence this" fits to all experiments, but that is not a very useful statement.

1. What are the potential hazards of using lasers?

Lasers can pose a variety of hazards, including eye injuries, skin burns, and fire hazards. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and wear appropriate personal protective equipment when working with lasers.

2. How can I protect myself from laser hazards?

To protect yourself from laser hazards, it is important to follow safety guidelines and use appropriate personal protective equipment, such as laser safety glasses or goggles. It is also important to undergo proper training and only use lasers if you are qualified to do so.

3. What is the difference between Class 3B and Class 4 lasers?

Class 3B and Class 4 are two different classifications of lasers based on their potential hazards. Class 3B lasers have a lower potential for causing eye injuries, while Class 4 lasers have a higher potential for causing both eye and skin injuries. Class 4 lasers also have a higher power output than Class 3B lasers.

4. How can I ensure accurate measurements when using lasers?

To ensure accurate measurements when using lasers, it is important to properly calibrate the equipment, use the appropriate laser for the specific measurement, and minimize external factors that may affect the laser's accuracy. It is also important to follow proper measurement techniques and regularly check the equipment for any potential errors.

5. Are there any regulations or standards for laser safety?

Yes, there are various regulations and standards for laser safety, including guidelines from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). It is important to follow these regulations and standards to ensure the safe use of lasers in the workplace.