Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LaTeX: Drawing Coxeter/Dynkin graph

1. Dec 19, 2007 #1

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know of any package to draw Coxeter graphs and Dynkin diagrams in LaTeX directly?

Currently I'm taking Lie-algebra's and working out my assignment in (PDF)-LaTeX. I need to draw a simple Coxeter graph / Dynkin diagram, like the following:
    where o indicates an open dot, O a closed dot, --- stands for a single line and === for a double line. I don't really care about the dots, it's also fine if I can put an arrow through the line
    as long as I can indicate the shorter and longer roots.

Alternatively, it'd be nice to label the vertices, but that's not a requisite for me. Of course, I can draw such a diagram in Paint (eeek) or a vector program like Inkscape (overkill?) but I was wondering if there doesn't just exist some LaTeX package that will do this for me. Not too complicated please, probably I can use MetaPost, but a) I'd have to learn it and b) I'd have to switch from pdfLaTeX to latex,dvi->ps->pdf which is way too complicated.

Any ideas?

PS Didn't know what would be the best forum, I just guessed this one because I think here I have the largest chance of someone active in this subject who uses this regularly coming by.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe sci.math is a better bet.
  4. Dec 19, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?