Latex math fonts vs text fonts

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter DrDu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Text
In summary, Latex has two fonts: math mode and text mode. Latex uses different fonts for math and text, which can create ugly results. There are packages that offer commands to convert a file into a different format if necessary, but some publishers do not accept latex.
DrDu
Science Advisor
I've been using Latex for many years now. But there is a feature which I feel more and more uneasy about: At least in plain latex you are supposed to do subscripts, minus signs, in math mode, even when writing a simple number with exponent in text mode. Another example would be expressions like "α-particle". However, latex uses different fonts for math and text, which produces quite ugly results.
I know that there are packages like comptex etc. which provide some commands for text mode.
My main reason I want to avoid using math mode is that I am working now on a field where latex is not very common for publications and not all publishers (or colleagues) accept it. So I want to be able to convert a file into rtf with latex2rtf in case of emergency.

What are your favourite solutions to this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I match the text and math fonts by using

% For Times
\usepackage{times}
\usepackage{txfonts}

or

% For Charter
\usepackage{charter}
\usepackage[charter]{mathdesign}

(More options "ftp://tug.ctan.org/pub/tex-archive/info/Free_Math_Font_Survey/survey.html"[/URL].)

Last edited by a moderator:
DrDu said:
At least in plain latex you are supposed to do subscripts, minus signs, in math mode, even when writing a simple number with exponent in text mode.

You can use \textsubscript{} and \textsuperscript{} outside math mode. If you use them a lot, make your own shorter names for them.

Or you can use \mathrm{} or \mbox{} to get "normal" text inside math mode.

Arguably math minus signs $-$, em dashes -- and en dashes --- should be three different glyphs, but nobody is going to arrest you for font violation if you think otherwise.

The whole point of LaTeX is to separate the content of the document from the details of its appearance. In genuinely "plan latex" you would be using Knuth's Computer Modern fonts for the text so everything will look harmonious (but not necessarily pretty, unless you really like the CMR fonts). If you want to override the math fonts, you can do that with many existing packages, or you can do it yourself. To find out how, use an existing package (e.g. file txfonts.sty) as an example, and find out what the commands do if you can't guess.

1. What is the difference between Latex math fonts and text fonts?

Latex math fonts are specifically designed for mathematical formulas and equations, while text fonts are used for regular text. Math fonts have symbols and characters that are not found in traditional text fonts, making them more suitable for mathematical expressions.

2. Can I use text fonts in place of Latex math fonts?

Technically, yes, you can use text fonts in place of Latex math fonts. However, the equations and formulas may not appear correctly or as intended. It is recommended to use Latex math fonts for mathematical expressions to ensure accuracy and consistency.

3. Are there any limitations to using Latex math fonts?

One limitation of using Latex math fonts is that they may not be as aesthetically pleasing as text fonts. Additionally, they may not have as many style and formatting options compared to text fonts. However, this trade-off is necessary for mathematical accuracy.

4. Can I mix and match Latex math fonts and text fonts in one document?

Yes, you can use both Latex math fonts and text fonts in the same document. Latex offers various packages and commands to switch between math and text fonts seamlessly. This can be useful for incorporating mathematical expressions within regular text.

5. How do I choose the right Latex math font for my document?

The choice of Latex math font depends on personal preference and the type of document. Some popular options include Computer Modern, Times New Roman, and Arial. It is recommended to choose a font that is easy to read and consistent with the overall style of the document.