Latex - Multiple references in one citation

In summary, the individual is having trouble with their citations formatting and is unable to condense them using the elsarticle-num.bst bibstyle. They are seeking advice on alternative bibstyles, with the suggestion to use REVTex or create a custom style using merlin.
minger
Science Advisor
Guys,

I am trying to get my citations to do a "through" type thing, ala,. . .gotten using this method [1-4].

Rather, I am getting an entire listing, ala. . . gotten using this method [1, 2, 3, 4].

I am simply using
Code:
. . . gotten using this method~\cite{ref1,ref2,re3,ref4}.
which from what I understand should be enough. Is there an issue with my bibstyle?

I am using the elsarticle class and elsarticle-num.bst if anyone is familiar with them. I have access to the other .bst classes if anyone can recommend one to remedy this situation.

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the proper way to cite multiple references in one citation in Latex?

In Latex, you can use the "\cite{ }" command to cite multiple references in one citation. Simply list the reference keys within the curly brackets, separated by commas. For example, "\cite{ref1, ref2, ref3}".

Can I change the citation style for multiple references in one citation?

Yes, you can change the citation style by using the optional parameter in the "\cite{ }" command. For example, "\cite[see][p. 10]{ref1, ref2, ref3}" will produce a citation that includes "see" and the page number 10 before the list of references.

Is there a limit to the number of references I can include in one citation?

No, there is no limit to the number of references you can include in one citation. However, it is important to keep in mind that including too many references may make your citation appear cluttered and difficult to read.

How do I change the citation separator for multiple references in one citation?

You can change the citation separator by using the "\citesep" command. For example, "\renewcommand\citesep{; }" will change the separator to a semicolon followed by a space.

Can I use the "\cite" command to cite multiple references in different locations in my document?

Yes, you can use the "\cite" command multiple times in your document to cite different sets of references. Each citation command will produce a separate numbered citation, but all references will be included in the same list at the end of your document.