1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Latex - superscript & subscript together

1. Oct 15, 2012 #1
    latex -- superscript & subscript together

Hi,

I need to use expressions that have arguments, multiple superscript and subscript indices at the same time, e.g

[tex]
    V(ij)_{\sigma_1\sigma_2}^{\tau_1\tau_2}
    [/tex]

Is it possible to force latex to make this formula more compact, ie. to put the sigma and tau indices right after V, above / below (ij)?

Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Re: latex -- superscript & subscript together

Something like this:
    $$\underset{\sigma_1 \sigma_2}{\overset{\tau_1 \tau_2}{V_{i,j}}}$$If you need to do it a lot, you'll want to define a new command:

\newcommand{\vc}[3]{\overset{#2}{\underset{#3}{#1}}}

... the use would be \vc{bace}{over}{under}

\vc{X}{a,b}{c,d}$$\newcommand{\vc}[3]{\overset{#2}{\underset{#3}{#1}}} \vc{X}{a,b}{c,d}$$

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  4. Oct 15, 2012 #3

Thank you very much, that is really nice! Is it possible to put them to the top right / bottom right corner of V?

5. Oct 15, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

They are at the top-right/bottom-right corners of the V... well the start there.
    You want them to end there?
    Well ... using _a^bV^c_d:$$_a^bV^c_d$$... or \sideset{_a^b}{_d^c}V$$\sideset{_a^b}{_d^c}V$$... hmmm, pretty much the same (bit more square).$$\overset{\tau_1 \; \tau_2}{\underset{\sigma_1 \; \sigma_2}{V_{i,j}}}$$... expoits the centering by adding a horizontal space. I can make it wider:$$\overset{\tau_1 \;\; \tau_2}{\underset{\sigma_1 \;\; \sigma_2}{V_{i,j}}}$$... nesting the subscripts is pretty messy though.

Try looking through The AMS Short Math Guide for more possibilities.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  6. Oct 15, 2012 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

That's what I was looking for not long ago...

[tex]C \iiint^{+\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-\frac \beta {2m} (p^2_x+p^2_y+p^2_z)}dp_x dp_y dp_z = 1[/tex]

[tex]C \underset{-\infty}{\overset{+\infty} \iiint} e^{-\frac \beta {2m} (p^2_x+p^2_y+p^2_z)}dp_x dp_y dp_z = 1[/tex]

Still not perfect, but already better.

7. Oct 15, 2012 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That first one looks like a pair of indefinite integrals over a definite integral. The latter is rather non-standard.

What you are trying to say is that you want to integrate over all of momentum space (I assume p is some generalized momentum). There's nothing wrong with [itex]\iiint_V f(V)\,dV[/itex], where V is the volume to be integrated over. Using [itex]\iiint_V f(x,y,z)\,dx\,dy\,dz[/itex] is perhaps an abuse of notation, but it is a widely used and widely understood abuse of notation. Your momentum space is ℝ3. So just say so:

[tex]C \iiint_{\mathbb R^3}e^{-\frac \beta {2m} (p^2_x+p^2_y+p^2_z)}dp_x dp_y dp_z = 1[/tex]

8. Oct 15, 2012 #7

Thank you Simon, I really appreciate your help!

9. Oct 15, 2012 #8

Borek

Staff: Mentor

That's the way it was shown in the Physical Chemistry textbook printed here many times since at least seventies and considered for many years to be a standard text (called "a brick" for the size, weight, and cover color). Doesn't make it correct, it is just not something I made up - rather something I selected for aesthetic reasons.

10. Oct 15, 2012 #9

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

@csopi: no worries.

@D_H: I have also seen:$$\underset{\infty}{\iiint}f(x,y,z)dxdydz$$... as a shorthand for integrating over all space. Sometimes not even a triple-int sign. It may even be $$\underset{\infty}{\int}Fd\tau$$... so these things are used whatever we may think of them.
    I mostly associate this sort of thing with the preliminary notes in a handwritten document.

Sometimes it looks tidier to write$$\underset{-\infty}{\int}^\infty f(x)dx$$... but I'm like: "meh": it looks ugly with pretty much anything else.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook