Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Latex - superscript & subscript together

1. Oct 15, 2012 #1
    latex -- superscript & subscript together

Hi,

I need to use expressions that have arguments, multiple superscript and subscript indices at the same time, e.g

[tex]
    V(ij)_{\sigma_1\sigma_2}^{\tau_1\tau_2}
    [/tex]

Is it possible to force latex to make this formula more compact, ie. to put the sigma and tau indices right after V, above / below (ij)?

Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Re: latex -- superscript & subscript together

Something like this:
    $$\underset{\sigma_1 \sigma_2}{\overset{\tau_1 \tau_2}{V_{i,j}}}$$If you need to do it a lot, you'll want to define a new command:

\newcommand{\vc}[3]{\overset{#2}{\underset{#3}{#1}}}

... the use would be \vc{bace}{over}{under}

\vc{X}{a,b}{c,d}$$\newcommand{\vc}[3]{\overset{#2}{\underset{#3}{#1}}} \vc{X}{a,b}{c,d}$$

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  4. Oct 15, 2012 #3

Thank you very much, that is really nice! Is it possible to put them to the top right / bottom right corner of V?

5. Oct 15, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

They are at the top-right/bottom-right corners of the V... well the start there.
    You want them to end there?
    Well ... using _a^bV^c_d:$$_a^bV^c_d$$... or \sideset{_a^b}{_d^c}V$$\sideset{_a^b}{_d^c}V$$... hmmm, pretty much the same (bit more square).$$\overset{\tau_1 \; \tau_2}{\underset{\sigma_1 \; \sigma_2}{V_{i,j}}}$$... expoits the centering by adding a horizontal space. I can make it wider:$$\overset{\tau_1 \;\; \tau_2}{\underset{\sigma_1 \;\; \sigma_2}{V_{i,j}}}$$... nesting the subscripts is pretty messy though.

Try looking through The AMS Short Math Guide for more possibilities.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  6. Oct 15, 2012 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

That's what I was looking for not long ago...

[tex]C \iiint^{+\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-\frac \beta {2m} (p^2_x+p^2_y+p^2_z)}dp_x dp_y dp_z = 1[/tex]

[tex]C \underset{-\infty}{\overset{+\infty} \iiint} e^{-\frac \beta {2m} (p^2_x+p^2_y+p^2_z)}dp_x dp_y dp_z = 1[/tex]

Still not perfect, but already better.

7. Oct 15, 2012 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That first one looks like a pair of indefinite integrals over a definite integral. The latter is rather non-standard.

What you are trying to say is that you want to integrate over all of momentum space (I assume p is some generalized momentum). There's nothing wrong with [itex]\iiint_V f(V)\,dV[/itex], where V is the volume to be integrated over. Using [itex]\iiint_V f(x,y,z)\,dx\,dy\,dz[/itex] is perhaps an abuse of notation, but it is a widely used and widely understood abuse of notation. Your momentum space is ℝ3. So just say so:

[tex]C \iiint_{\mathbb R^3}e^{-\frac \beta {2m} (p^2_x+p^2_y+p^2_z)}dp_x dp_y dp_z = 1[/tex]

8. Oct 15, 2012 #7

Thank you Simon, I really appreciate your help!

9. Oct 15, 2012 #8

Borek

Staff: Mentor

That's the way it was shown in the Physical Chemistry textbook printed here many times since at least seventies and considered for many years to be a standard text (called "a brick" for the size, weight, and cover color). Doesn't make it correct, it is just not something I made up - rather something I selected for aesthetic reasons.

10. Oct 15, 2012 #9

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

@csopi: no worries.

@D_H: I have also seen:$$\underset{\infty}{\iiint}f(x,y,z)dxdydz$$... as a shorthand for integrating over all space. Sometimes not even a triple-int sign. It may even be $$\underset{\infty}{\int}Fd\tau$$... so these things are used whatever we may think of them.
    I mostly associate this sort of thing with the preliminary notes in a handwritten document.

Sometimes it looks tidier to write$$\underset{-\infty}{\int}^\infty f(x)dx$$... but I'm like: "meh": it looks ugly with pretty much anything else.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook