1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Launch of the Sspace Shuttle and its effect on the Earth's motion

1. Nov 4, 2017 #1
    Assume we shoot a space shuttle of mass m to space. We know it affects the earth's mass M by decreasing it to M2 = M-m. Assume that the gas pillar that the space shuttle shoots has no effects on earth, what would be the theoretical effects on kinetic energy, momentum and velocity of the earth by the decreased mass, although miniscule obviously?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Can you do any of these calculations yourself? And why do you say "theoretical"? Do you not believe that the effects would be real?

4. Nov 4, 2017 #3
    I would assume that the momentum remained constant cause of the assumption of gas pillar having no effect, i.e no recoil effects? Then velocity would be increased with the decreased mass? Correct? Incorrect?

And by theoretical i mean real... just theoretical relating to the effects being miniscule.

5. Nov 4, 2017 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What are the components of momentum? Do they stay the same?

Would it matter in what direction the rocket was launched?

OK, but that's poor terminology. If you mean minuscule, SAY minuscule.

6. Nov 5, 2017 #5

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Two bricks tied together are in a circular orbit around the earth. You don a space suit, carefully untie the string and remove one of the bricks without disturbing the other. Does the undisturbed brick double its orbital velocity as a result?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted