Laurent series for (z²-4)/(z-1) around z₀=1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
TheFerruccio
Messages
216
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the Laurent series for the function that converges at [itex]0 < \left|z-z_0\right| < R[/itex]

Homework Equations



[itex]\frac{z^2-4}{z-1}[/itex]
[itex]z_0 = 1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I think this is going to be a finite sum. I think it could be wrong, though, because it certainly differs with the answer in the book.

[itex]\frac{z^2-4}{z-1} = \frac{z^2}{z-1}-\frac{4}{z-1}[/itex]

I tried to put the first part in terms of [itex]z-1[/itex]...

[itex]\frac{z^2}{z-1} = \frac{z-1+1}{z-1}\frac{z-1+1}{z-1} =[/itex]

[itex]\left( \frac{z-1}{z-1}+\frac{1}{z-1}\right)\left(\frac{z-1}{z-1}+\frac{1}{z-1}\right)[/itex]

[itex]= \left(1+\frac{1}{z-1}\right)\left(1+\frac{1}{z-1}\right) = 1+\frac{2}{z-1}+\frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^2}[/itex]

I recombined with the last term...

[itex]1+\frac{2}{z-1}+\frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^2}-\frac{4}{z-1} = 1-\frac{2}{z-1}+\frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^2}[/itex]

This is the final answer that I get. However, the book says that it is

[itex]-\frac{3}{z-1}+2+(z-1)[/itex]

I am absolutely stumped and I've been racking my brain over it for hours.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
micromass said:
You found the Laurent series at ##1##. I think they want you to find the Laurent series at ##0##.

They may have wanted me to find the Laurent series at 1. Sorry, I forgot to add to the problem...

[itex]z_0 = 1[/itex]
 
OK, so I'll take a closer look.

I see right away that this is not a correct thing to do:

TheFerruccio said:
[itex]\frac{z^2}{z-1} = \frac{z-1+1}{z-1}\frac{z-1+1}{z-1} =[/itex]
 
micromass said:
OK, so I'll take a closer look.

I see right away that this is not a correct thing to do:

I figured it was the algebra that was holding me back here. Is it because it creates a singularity at 1 or something? Why is this wrong? I do not see it.
 
[tex]\frac{z-1+1}{z-1}\frac{z-1+1}{z-1} = \frac{z}{z-1}\frac{z}{z-1} = \frac{z^2}{(z-1)^2}[/tex]

This does not equal ##\frac{z^2}{z-1}##.
 
micromass said:
[tex]\frac{z-1+1}{z-1}\frac{z-1+1}{z-1} = \frac{z}{z-1}\frac{z}{z-1} = \frac{z^2}{(z-1)^2}[/tex]

This does not equal ##\frac{z^2}{z-1}##.

Holy crap, oh geeze. That's embarrassing. Thanks for pointing that out. Let me try this again.
 
Alright, well, realizing that that technique is wrong has completely erased the paths that I see to solving this problem. Any hints as to an appropriate next step to take? I've gone the method of splitting [itex]z^2-4[/itex] into [itex](z-2)(z+2)[/itex] but I do not know how to go from there.
 
Try to write

[tex]\frac{z^2 - 4}{z-1} = \frac{(z-1)^2 + P(z)}{z-1}[/tex]

and try to find the polynomial ##P(z)##.
 
micromass said:
Try to write

[tex]\frac{z^2 - 4}{z-1} = \frac{(z-1)^2 + P(z)}{z-1}[/tex]

and try to find the polynomial ##P(z)##.

Oh, that's clever. Thanks for suggesting this method. This immediately gave me the path I needed to do.

[itex]\frac{z^2-4}{z-1} = \frac{\left(z-1\right)^2+P(z)}{z-1}=\frac{{(z-1)}^2+2z-5}{z-1} = \frac{{(z-1)}^2+2(z-1)-3}{z-1} = (z-1)+2-\frac{3}{z-1}[/itex] which is exactly what I was looking for. I will keep this technique in my toolbox. Thanks for the suggestion ;)

Oh, and it converges for all R > 0.