Finding Laurent Series for f(z)=z^2/(z+1) at z=-1

In summary, The problem is to find the Laurent series for the function f(z)= \frac{z^2}{z+1} around the point z=-1. The procedure for finding Laurent series is discussed, involving finding the Taylor series for z^2 at z=-1 and dividing it by z+1. The importance of considering simpler methods and the uniqueness of the Laurent series are also mentioned.
Hertz

Homework Statement

Specifically, I'm trying to find the laurent series for [itex]f(z)=\frac{z^2}{z+1}[/itex] around the point [itex]z=-1[/itex]. My real problem is my procedure in general though. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong on a lot of these Laurent Series but for some reason I'm struggling with them.

(Even more specifically, I'm trying to find the type of singularity and the residue at z=-1.)

Homework Equations

[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=-\infty}{c_n (z-z_0)^n}[/itex] where
[itex]c_n=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{C}{\frac{f(z)dz}{(z-z_0)^{n+1}}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did is take the [itex]z^2[/itex] out and set [itex]z_0=-1[/itex] because that's the point I want to expand around. Then I set C such that [itex]z=-1+e^{i\theta}[/itex] where [itex]-\pi < \theta < \pi[/itex] and integrated.

I found the integral, which was [itex]\frac{sin(n+1)\pi}{(n+1)\pi}[/itex] which equals zero for all values of n besides [itex]n=-1[/itex].

I could probably find out more about the coefficient at -1 if I evaluated the integral for n=-1, but at this point I realized I still had the [itex]x^2[/itex] in there that would throw off the degree of my Laurent Series anyways...

So I basically feel like I have spent way more time on this problem than I should have and have almost no results to show for it. Clearly, my procedure is not spot on :\. Can anybody help me out? How should I start out on a problem like this?

Normally, when I try to find a Laurent Series, this is what I do:
1. Decide where it should be centered.
2. Think about other series representations that I've memorized to maybe do a quick easy substitution or break up the function into multiple parts.
3. If I have no success this far, I'll usually just result to the laurent series formula that I have posted above, but clearly, I'm running into problems with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a simple pole at z = -1. That means you will have one negative exponent in your Laurent expansion. Start with the Taylor's series for ##z^2## at the point -1 (i.e. you are expanding in powers of z+1. You will get

##z^2 = \sum [stuff]##. This series converges throughout the complex plane. Now divide it by z+1 to get

##z^2 = \sum [stuff]/(z+1) ##. This gives you the entire Laurent expansion.

In general finding Laurent expansions via the integral is a fraught process. Sometimes it's the only way, but if you can think of something simpler, use it. The Laurent series is unique, so if you have a series that converges to your function in a domain around a singularity, it has to be the Laurent series. (If there is no singularity it has to be the Taylor's series).

1. What are Laurent series and why are they important in mathematics?

Laurent series are a type of mathematical series that represent complex functions as an infinite sum of terms. They are important because they allow us to approximate and analyze complex functions in a more manageable way, especially when the functions have singularities or poles.

2. How do you find the Laurent series of a complex function?

To find the Laurent series of a complex function, we use the formula:

where z0 is the center of the series, and the coefficients cn can be found using the Cauchy integral formula or by using the Taylor series expansion.

3. What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Laurent series?

A Taylor series is a special case of a Laurent series where all the coefficients cn for n < 0 are equal to 0. This means that a Taylor series only includes non-negative powers of (z-z0). In contrast, a Laurent series includes both positive and negative powers of (z-z0).

4. How do you determine the region of convergence for a Laurent series?

The region of convergence for a Laurent series is determined by the distance between the center of the series (z0) and the nearest singularity or pole of the function. The series will converge for all values of z within this distance, known as the annulus of convergence.

5. What are the practical applications of Laurent series?

Laurent series have many practical applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to approximate and analyze complex functions, especially those with singularities or poles. They are also used in solving differential equations, evaluating integrals, and in signal processing and control systems.