1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Law school with a BA in physics?

1. Apr 20, 2012 #1
    Hi all :)

I'm ending my Junior year of college, and I'm starting to panic slightly on what to do for grad school. I know I definitely want to go because I don't want to just have my BA in physics, but I'm starting to become confused on what I want to do.

Originally, I went into physics thinking after I graduate from college I'll get into a good research grad program.
    Now I'm beginning to think this might be a bad idea. The more upper level classes I take, the more I realize I don't think I have that 'intuition' that most physics majors seem to have. I still do well in the courses, but the more advanced concepts aren't coming easily. I'm worried that if I'm struggling now, I'll never make it in grad school. I have an internship this summer (REU) which should give me a better understanding of where I stand.

But the thing is, I'm starting to wonder if my love for physics is more of a hobby love than a career love.

Now onto my question.
    Before I went into physics, I grew up thinking I'd go into law. But since there is such a surplus of lawyers, the economy isn't doing that great, and it's difficult to get a job in law, I had decided against it.

Now I'm reconsidering.

Last year at the US North-Eastern women undergraduate physics conference, a graduate student was talking about legal patenting.
    I've done some light google searching on this, but is there anyone who could tell me what a career in this field would be like? What it entails and such.

Also, I think I'm just going to take the LSAT when I take the GRE. When should I take them? Is waiting until the August/September date too late? Any tips?

As always, thanks so much to anyone who takes their time to read and/or respond.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2012 #2
    A buddy of mine did this, finished his ba in physics and just got accepted to law school, I think he wants to either go into patent law or try to become a politician where he feels he could lobby to the importance of science education.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook