1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lawn mower force question, and acceleration.

1. Nov 10, 2009 #1
    A person pushes a 16 kg lawn mower at a constant speed with a force of 80 N directed along the handle which is set at an angle of 45 degrees to the horizontal. If the coefficient of friction against the lawn mower is 0.230, what force must the person exert on the lawn mower to accelerate it from rest to 1.5 m/s over 3.0 m??

so i put the 80 N into a right triangle as the hypotenuse, and solved for the x and y terms and got 57 N. I then put it into a freebody diagram and and now stumped because i dont know what to solver for. If anyone could help its greatly appreciated! thanks!:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi bobsagget! :smile:

First, find the acceleration.

That gives you the net force.

Now use the freebody diagram to find the applied force that will give that net force. :wink:

4. Nov 10, 2009 #3
    so to find the acceleration i would use v1= 0, v2 = 1.5 and Delta displacement is 3.0 m and use a kinematic then how would i find the net force?

5. Nov 10, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes :smile:
    oh come on!! :rolleyes:

what is the relationship between net force and acceleration??

6. Nov 10, 2009 #5
    hahaha wow im slow, So i use the F=ma formula which would give me a net force of 6N. so then i have to use fnet= force applied-force of friction, and i would want to solve for the for F(app) using a free body diagram.

7. Nov 10, 2009 #6
    and i also solved for net force and i got 29 N. so would i now need to put that into a right triangle with a 45 degrees angle and the 29 N would be on the x axis of that triangle? and id need to solve for the hyp? then do i add it to the 80 N originally to find the total force that is needed to accelerate the lawn mower?

8. Nov 10, 2009 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes!

Now do it!!​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook