Lawn mower force question, and acceleration.

In summary, the conversation is about determining the force needed to accelerate a 16 kg lawn mower from rest to 1.5 m/s over a distance of 3.0 m. The person pushing the lawn mower exerts a constant force of 80 N at a 45 degree angle to the horizontal, and the coefficient of friction is 0.230. The steps to solving this problem include finding the acceleration using kinematics, using the F=ma formula to find the net force, and then using a free body diagram to solve for the applied force. The final answer is 29 N, which needs to be added to the original 80 N force to find the total force required to accelerate the lawn mower.
bobsagget
A person pushes a 16 kg lawn mower at a constant speed with a force of 80 N directed along the handle which is set at an angle of 45 degrees to the horizontal. If the coefficient of friction against the lawn mower is 0.230, what force must the person exert on the lawn mower to accelerate it from rest to 1.5 m/s over 3.0 m??

so i put the 80 N into a right triangle as the hypotenuse, and solved for the x and y terms and got 57 N. I then put it into a freebody diagram and and now stumped because i don't know what to solver for. If anyone could help its greatly appreciated! thanks!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bobsagget! :smile:

First, find the acceleration.

That gives you the net force.

Now use the freebody diagram to find the applied force that will give that net force. :wink:

so to find the acceleration i would use v1= 0, v2 = 1.5 and Delta displacement is 3.0 m and use a kinematic then how would i find the net force?

bobsagget said:
so to find the acceleration i would use v1= 0, v2 = 1.5 and Delta displacement is 3.0 m and use a kinematic

Yes :smile:
… then how would i find the net force?

oh come on! :rolleyes:

what is the relationship between net force and acceleration??

hahaha wow I am slow, So i use the F=ma formula which would give me a net force of 6N. so then i have to use fnet= force applied-force of friction, and i would want to solve for the for F(app) using a free body diagram.

and i also solved for net force and i got 29 N. so would i now need to put that into a right triangle with a 45 degrees angle and the 29 N would be on the x-axis of that triangle? and id need to solve for the hyp? then do i add it to the 80 N originally to find the total force that is needed to accelerate the lawn mower?

bobsagget said:
hahaha wow I am slow, So i use the F=ma formula which would give me a net force of 6N. so then i have to use fnet= force applied-force of friction, and i would want to solve for the for F(app) using a free body diagram.

Yes!

Now do it!​

1. What is lawn mower force?

Lawn mower force refers to the amount of force or strength that is required to operate a lawn mower. It is the force that is exerted on the lawn mower in order to move it forward or to cut through grass and other vegetation.

2. How is lawn mower force measured?

Lawn mower force is typically measured in pounds or newtons. A standard lawn mower typically requires about 20 pounds of force to push or pull it along. This can vary depending on the size and type of lawn mower.

3. What factors affect lawn mower force?

The main factors that affect lawn mower force include the weight of the lawn mower, the type and condition of the blades, the density and height of the grass, and the terrain or slope of the lawn. The physical strength and technique of the person operating the lawn mower can also affect the force required.

4. What is the relationship between lawn mower force and acceleration?

The amount of force applied to a lawn mower can affect its acceleration. The greater the force, the faster the lawn mower will accelerate. However, other factors such as the weight and condition of the lawn mower, as well as the terrain, can also impact its acceleration.

5. Can lawn mower force be reduced?

Yes, there are a few ways to reduce the amount of force required to operate a lawn mower. One way is to regularly maintain the lawn mower by sharpening the blades and keeping them clean. This will make it easier for the lawn mower to cut through grass and reduce the force needed. Another way is to choose a lawn mower with a self-propelling feature, which can reduce the amount of force needed to push or pull the mower.