Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Lawrence Krauss and shortening the lifespan of the universe

1. Feb 18, 2017 #1
    That was 10 years ago, when he proposed that humans are shortening the lifespan of the universe by looking at it. Is this nonsense?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Give a citation please. I suspect you misunderstood what he said, but it's kinda hard to tell since you did not give a citation and quote his exact statement.

4. Feb 18, 2017 #3
    "Several interesting open questions are raised, including whether observing the cosmological configuration of our universe may ultimately alter its mean lifetime."

5. Feb 18, 2017 #4

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Feb 18, 2017 #5
    The Universe exists.
    I'm sure that humans being in it makes it no different from what it would be without them.

7. Feb 18, 2017 #6

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Where is this quote from?

8. Feb 19, 2017 #7

OCR

9. Feb 19, 2017 #8

PeterDonis

2016 Award

These are helpful links, yes. Your attitude, however, is not. It's the responsibility of a person quoting someone to give a reference for the quote. You've helped Trollfaz out by doing that for him, which is fine; but it's certainly not the job of the moderators to do that for everyone.

10. Feb 19, 2017 #9

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lawrence Krauss has an interesting sense of humor. He delights in titillating marginally informed pop sci audiences by raising possibilities that are only viable when you tweak certain assumptions that go into interpreting the data. I always viewed it as a teaching aid intended to help the truly curious understand how and why we rely on certain 'assumptions' and what happens when you push them a little too hard. He is a very popular speaker. You can get a sense of just how seriously he regards his remarks are by sizing up his audience. The Lawrence Krauss that gives planetarium speeches and magazine interviews is not the same Lawrence Krauss who addresses scientific conferences attended by professional physicists. He and Michio Kaku number among the science celebrities who make a living through this form of entertainment. I view it as something of value by promoting popular interest in science.

11. Feb 20, 2017 #10
    Well, I guess I misunderstood what he said. Apologies

12. Feb 21, 2017 #11

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I did not intend to suggest professional scientists get some perverse satisfaction from misleading lay audiences. It's just a device to elevate popular public interest in science. If it interests you enough to provoke a little research, it's not phd difficult to figure out the context of their remarks

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  13. Apr 28, 2017 #12
    I think misunderstanding

14. Apr 28, 2017 #13

PeterDonis

2016 Award

The problem I have with this approach is that the vast majority of the people in the marginally informed pop sci audiences, as you call them, have neither the time, nor the background knowledge, nor the inclination to do any such research. They think these scientists are authorities who are telling them the literal truth. And the scientists do nothing to disabuse people of this notion. I don't think the overall effect of this is to promote popular interest in science; I think it promotes popular misunderstanding of science.

15. Apr 28, 2017 #14

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I dislike it as pedagogical methodology, but I think it does both even while misleading about specifics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted