Does Lawrence Krauss believe in the anthropic principle?

Summary: Does Lawrence Krauss believe in the anthropic principle?

I have read a lot of texts both indicating that physicist Lawrence Krauss is against the anthropic principle. But I have read several texts indicating that Lawrence Krauss believes that this principle is true and has developed some works based on the anthropic principle (applied to cosmology and the multiverse).

So I would like to clarify this, if you know the answer: Does Lawrence Krauss support the anthropic principle and the "anthropic multiverse" (which several authors such as Brandon Carter or Robert Dicke proposed)? Do you know if he has ever explicitly said that he believes in the anthropic principle?

pinball1970

Gold Member
Summary: Does Lawrence Krauss believe in the anthropic principle?

I have read a lot of texts both indicating that physicist Lawrence Krauss is against the anthropic principle. But I have read several texts indicating that Lawrence Krauss believes that this principle is true and has developed some works based on the anthropic principle (applied to cosmology and the multiverse).

So I would like to clarify this, if you know the answer: Does Lawrence Krauss support the anthropic principle and the "anthropic multiverse" (which several authors such as Brandon Carter or Robert Dicke proposed)? Do you know if he has ever explicitly said that he believes in the anthropic principle?
There is this
And this mainly discussing a universe from nothing.

In these sources Krauss neither clearly denies or affirms the validity of the anthropic principle. Do you know of sonething else he said, or any of his colleagues, that indicates that he is an anthropic principle proponent?

pinball1970

Gold Member
In these sources Krauss neither clearly denies or affirms the validity of the anthropic principle. Do you know of sonething else he said, or any of his colleagues, that indicates that he is an anthropic principle proponent?
Not off the top of my head, have you read a universe from nothing? I would have thought there may be mention of it in there.
There is a debate with Dawkins on the book and other things.
Two hours if you have time.

pinball1970

Gold Member
Go from 35minutes on and he gets to the anthropic principal

Both in pinball1970's helpful link and in A Universe from Nothing I read Krauss as being careful and nuanced about the anthropic principle. In that book he writes "Put another way, it is not too surprising to find that we live in a universe in which we can live!...This argument, however, makes mathematical sense only if there is a possibility that many different universes have arisen." (page 125) That sounds like the weak anthropic principle with some careful hedging, but I could be wrong. So, if I had to guess based on a quick re-read and the video, I'd say he is sympathetic but properly uncertain.