Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Layman's difference between KMnO4 & KFO2N

1. Jul 19, 2012 #1
    I hope I can get some help here, I am looking for a layman's explanation of the difference between Layman's difference between KMnO4 & KFO2N.

I ask because in last year's seasons of several survival tv shows, they showed them starting fires via a chemical reaction between Glycerin and Potassium Permanganate. I did some research, and Potassium Permanganate is sold as a fish pond chemical. Here is where it gets interesting. If you do a Google search on Potassium Permanganate, you see chemical supply houses selling KMnO4, and you see pool supply stores selling it under the name "pot-perm", but in small print you may be getting either KMnO4 or KFO2N.

Which is the one they likely used on the tv shows to start fires?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2012 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

KFO2N is not a chemical name while potassium permanganate (KMnO4) is.

"KFO2N" is a product name like "409" cleaner.

Where is this 'fine print' you referred to?

4. Jul 23, 2012 #3
    Great, that clears it up, thank you!

The small print I referred to is usually text on the sticker on the front of the bottle, somewhere below the giant print "POT PERM". Some said KMnO4, some said KFO2N, and some just didn't say. Thanks for laying it out for me, now it makes sense.

5. Jul 24, 2012 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, I thought maybe the KFO2N was in the small print of the ingredient list.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook