LCDM Model best value of ##Ω_k##

In summary: They're just more precise as you go along.In summary, the best value for ##Ω_k## considering Planck 2015 results is 0, with an accuracy of +/- 0.005. This is consistent with other experiments, such as WMAP and eCMB+BAO+H_0. However, due to uncertainties in measurements, the precise value of ##Ω_k## cannot be determined and may range from -0.0066 to 0.0012.
RyanH42
Whats the best value of ##Ω_k## (Considering Planck 2015 results).I asked best value cause If you think our universe can be also hyperbolic so ##Ω_k## can be different then 1.
I remember the relationship between ##Ω_k## and k is
##Ω_k=-k/a(t)h^2## or some sort of something like that.k is zero I guess then How can
##Ω_k## can be 1

Thank you

Space news on Phys.org
RyanH42 said:
How can
##\Omega_k## can be 1

##\Omega_k## is not 1 but 0. It's the total density parameter ##\Omega_{total}## which is equal to 1, not the curvature density parameter.
Planck results show ##\Omega_k## to be 0 with accuracy of +/- 0.005
http://arxiv.org/abs/1502.01589
Since error bars do exits, one can't rule out a hyperbolic nor closed universe, but it's hard not to notice that it's pretty damn flat nonetheless.
Also, the relationship is
##\Omega_k=-\frac{kc}{a^2H^2}##

Likes RyanH42
Can you fix your sentences

Yeah, sorry - Latex went bonkers there for a while. Should be fine now.

##Ω_T=Ω_M+Ω_Λ+Ω_k## (T=total),(M here matter BM+DM),(Λ Dark energy)

##Ω_T## is always 1.It not depend universe curvature (hyperbolic,flat,sphere),or time or anything else.Am I right ?

I see somewhere (I don't remember right know,sorry about that) the error in ΩTotal=1.00±0.02 Is that right ?

RyanH42 said:
##Ω_T=Ω_M+Ω_Λ+Ω_k## (T=total),(M here matter BM+DM),(Λ Dark energy)

##Ω_T## is always 1.It not depend universe curvature (hyperbolic,flat,sphere),or time or anything else.Am I right ?
No, ##\Omega_T## is the total density parameter with contributions from matter, radiation and dark energy densities:
##\Omega_T=\Omega_m+\Omega_r+\Omega_{\Lambda}##
This density is related to the curvature by:
##\Omega_k=1-\Omega_T##
That is, for curvature to be 0, ##\Omega_T## must be 1.

Likes RyanH42
RyanH42 said:
I see somewhere (I don't remember right know,sorry about that) the error in ΩTotal=1.00±0.02 Is that right ?
This relates to your other thread and my answers there. The measurements from Planck 2015 are consistent with total density being 1.000 +/- 0.005. The The number you refer to is most likely the WMAP 1-year (i.e., earliest, least accurate) result, which was 1.02 +/- 0.02.
You can find a nice breakdown of WMAP results here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilkinson_Microwave_Anisotropy_Probe#Measurements_and_discoveries

That site is really good.I see it.

The nine year result says ##Ω_k≅-0.037## (best fit WMAP only) so ##Ω_T≅1.037## which there's error signs of course.It means ##Ω_T## can be 1.020.But there's another number says ##Ω_k≅-0.0027## (WMAP+eCMB+BAO+##H_0## which here ##Ω_T≅1.0027## which not fits the other result.Here which is the best result.You say ##Ω_k≅0.005## I know that but I want to be sure.Thank you

There is no one single precise value, and there'll never be one because that's not how measurements work. You always have uncertainties, and that's the key.

From WMAP-only measurements you've got the 0.037 result with error bars approx. +/- 0.044. That means it could be anything from -0.007 to 0.081 and you've not way of saying which precise value it actually is.
You then combine the result with data from other experiments, each of those having their own range of predicted values.
This let's you narrow the range to -0.0027 +/- 0.0039, which means the actual value can be anything from -0.0066 to 0.0012. That is a much better result. An order of magnitude improvement in accuracy.

Then you've got the other probe: PLANCK. It makes its own measurements, and after combining with all other available data, it ends up with 0.000 +/- 0.005.

All those results are compatible with each other, since the ranges overlap. For example, all three contain the 0 value for the curvature.

Likes RyanH42

1. What is the LCDM model and how does it relate to ##Ω_k##?

The LCDM model, or Lambda cold dark matter model, is a cosmological model that describes the evolution and structure of the universe. It includes a cosmological constant (Λ) and cold dark matter (CDM) as major components. The parameter ##Ω_k## represents the curvature of space in this model.

2. How is the best value of ##Ω_k## determined?

The best value of ##Ω_k## is determined through observational data and theoretical models. Scientists use various methods, such as measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation and galaxy surveys, to constrain the value of ##Ω_k##. The current best estimate is around 0, indicating a flat universe.

3. Why is the best value of ##Ω_k## important in the LCDM model?

The value of ##Ω_k## is important because it affects the overall geometry and evolution of the universe in the LCDM model. A positive value would indicate a closed universe, while a negative value would indicate an open universe. The best value of ##Ω_k## is crucial in understanding the expansion and structure of the universe.

4. Has the best value of ##Ω_k## changed over time?

Yes, the best value of ##Ω_k## has changed over time as more observational data and advanced theoretical models have been developed. In the past, the best value was thought to be significantly larger, indicating a closed universe. However, with more precise measurements and improved models, the value has shifted closer to 0, indicating a flat universe.

5. What is the current uncertainty in the best value of ##Ω_k##?

The current uncertainty in the best value of ##Ω_k## is relatively small, with the most recent estimates ranging from -0.02 to 0.005. However, as new data and models are developed, these values may continue to shift slightly. It is important for scientists to continue refining and improving our understanding of ##Ω_k## in order to better understand the universe as a whole.