Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Leading Edge Slats on Hang Gliders?

1. Aug 8, 2011 #1
    What do you think about the feasibility of adding leading edge slats to a hang glider in order to reduce the stall speed and increase the wing loading.

I've seen charts showing nearly a twofold increase in the achievable coefficient of lift because the angle of attack can go so much higher without stalling (assuming flaps are present).

I have been wondering if it would be possible to decrease the wing area of a hang glider so much to the point where it could be deployable and fit in a large backpack.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2011 #2
    This is an interesting thought, but I believe impractical for the reason of drag. While flaps and slats help you to gain more lift, they also create more drag. I'm not sure what percentage of the drag in a hang glider comes from the "wing" itself, but it seems that any increase would make it so that your glide angle would be even more steep.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook