Leading non-vanishing term of the groundstate for ##H_0##

• Thread starter guyvsdcsniper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Term
In summary, the problem involves calculating the second order energy shift of the ground state in a perturbation potential, using the formula ##\sum_{k\neq n} \frac{|\braket{k|\hat H_1|n}|^2}{E_n^0-E_k^0}## and the knowledge that the ground state has nx and ny values of 0. The perturbation Hamiltonian is also given as ##\hat H_1 = \frac {\lambda \hbar}{2m\omega}(a_xa_y+a_xa_y^\dagger + a_x^\dagger a_y + a_x^\dagger a_y^\dagger)##.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
Find the non leading vanishing term to the ground state
Relevant Equations
Perturbation theory
The eigenvalue for this ##H_0## is given by ##\hbar \omega(n+1) ; (n_x+n_y = n)##

At the ground state, ##nx = ny = 0## so the eigenvalue is simply ##\hbar\omega##

Next we turn the perturbation potential on and I know that the first order shift in the energy is the expectation value of the perturbing Hamiltonian in the unperturbed state corresponding to that energy.

##E_n^1 = \braket{nx,ny|\hat H_1|nx,ny} = \frac {\lambda \hbar}{2m\omega}[\braket{0,0|a_xa_y+a_xa_y^\dagger + a_x^\dagger a_y + a_x^\dagger a_y^\dagger|0,0} = 0 ##

From here, I am to calculate the second order energy shift of the ground state.

I am having trouble applying the formula,

##\sum_{k\neq n} \frac{|\braket{k|\hat H_1|n}|^2}{E_n^0-E_k^0}##

For this problem nx and ny = 0 in the ground state
##\sum_{k\neq 0,0} \frac{|\braket{k|\hat H_1|0,0}|^2}{E_{0,0}^0-E_k^0}##
I can express ##\hat H_1##

##\sum_{k\neq 0,0}(\frac {\lambda \hbar}{2m\omega})^2 \frac{|\braket{k|\hat x \hat y|0,0}|^2}{E_{0,0}^0-E_k^0}##

I have trouble understand what to do next in this problem. Im not really sure what K would be, I know it just be 0,0 which is what n is.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would tremendously help us to help you, if you could give a complete statement of the problem under consideration!

Likes DrClaude
vanhees71 said:
It would tremendously help us to help you, if you could give a complete statement of the problem under consideration!
My apologies, I thought I attached a screenshot of the problem but I might have accidentally deleted it. I figured out the problem though. Thank you!

1. What is the "leading non-vanishing term" in the groundstate for ##H_0##?

The leading non-vanishing term in the groundstate for ##H_0## refers to the dominant term in the mathematical expression for the groundstate energy of a system. In other words, it is the term that contributes the most to the overall energy of the system.

2. Why is the leading non-vanishing term important in studying ##H_0##?

The leading non-vanishing term is important because it provides valuable information about the behavior and properties of the system. It can help us understand the stability, structure, and dynamics of the system, and can also provide insights into the underlying physical processes at work.

3. How is the leading non-vanishing term determined for ##H_0##?

The leading non-vanishing term for ##H_0## is determined through mathematical calculations and analysis. This involves solving the Schrödinger equation for the system and identifying the term with the highest coefficient or the largest contribution to the overall energy.

4. What factors can affect the leading non-vanishing term for ##H_0##?

The leading non-vanishing term for ##H_0## can be affected by various factors such as the system's geometry, the strength of the interactions between particles, and the presence of external fields. These factors can alter the energy levels and thus change the dominant term in the groundstate expression.

5. How does the leading non-vanishing term relate to the groundstate energy for ##H_0##?

The leading non-vanishing term is a crucial component of the mathematical expression for the groundstate energy of ##H_0##. It can greatly influence the overall energy of the system and is often used to approximate the groundstate energy in theoretical calculations and models.