Learning a second language

• Thread starter Jeff Ford
  • Start date
Just pick a language that you are interested in. I personally suggest German. It's my favorite that I have studied. Plus it is the language for Stanford's motto. Die Luft der Freiheit weht. But it is whatever you have an interest in. Don't pick a language you make yourself learn.

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
leon1127 said:
But my opinion is that if you live in US and planning to stay in US, learn spanish~~~ Reserch said that spanish only takes about 800 hours to learn, and chinese is about 2000 hours. chinese was like the most difficult language in the world (not considering dialect like Cantonese... even harder to speak,lol)
No dialect of Chinese can hold a candle to Iroquoian languages like Navajo and Cherokee, at least for people that are not already fluent in another agglutinative language. The phonetics are much simpler, granted, but the grammar is impossibly difficult (hence the "unbreakable codes of WWII), whereas Chinese grammar is fairly simple. I've been trying to learn Cherokee for a while now and still know almost nothing and probably never will until I have the opportunity to take an actual course, which are not easy to find. Comharthaím foghlaimíonn tú Gaeilge (I suggest you learn Irish). Once you get past the broad/slender consonant distinction and barely explicable spelling, it's not too hard. It isn't very practical, because almost nobody speaks it; to be honest, though, that's exactly why I think you should learn it.

German/French will be easy, especially if you only have to read it. Half the words in each language are cognates of English words.

You could try learning Arabic...I've learned some and its not very hard. Or you could give a shot at hindi/urdu (my mother tongue)...

How hard is Russian to learn?

I have always wanted to try that. I took almost seven years of French and have forgotten most of it already. So I figured it's time to start on another one. I really don't want to learn French, and Russian seems like a good one.

Anyone on here know much Russian?

erok81 said:
How hard is Russian to learn?
It is said to be one of the hardest languages to learn in the world.....

I'm studying Japanese and I can understand simple chinese sentenese, korean (if chinese characters are used). It's really enjoyable to study the characters. If I have time, I want to know about 10,000 characters.

Irish is a really fun language to learn. Starting Irish will be very tough. However it gets a lot easier. You can even listen to pronunciation on RTE's internet radio.

LostYourName, you have to be one of the only other people I know who learned Cherokee. As a child I grew up around Tahlequah OK so my school was about 80% Cherokee. I had Cherokee lessons from 3rd grade until Jr. High. I personally did not like the language. I was really young so any second language probably seemed pointless to me. I can't say I suggest Cherokee though.

Irish would be the easiest language to learn, with correct pronunciation, for bragging rights. However it is not too dead. On the islands just off of western Ireland the traffic signs are pure Irish. However it is dead enough to rock. And in my opinion the coolest sounding language.

latin and greek ..
well math and physics has a lot of it i know for med school they prefer latin ..

Andre said:
Ich glaube, daß die Deutsche Sprache viel zu viel unausprechliche Vokalen für die Angelsachsen hat.
Das stimmt...

La langue Française avec une instructrice personnelle aura la préférence
Bon, mais je voudrais voir cette instructrice avant de commencer.

Hoewel, Nederlands mag natuurlijk ook
Mooi zo, zo hoor ik het graag. Nederlands is echter vrij moeilijk aan te leren, vergeet dat niet

marlon

Oooooohhhh, that isn't about learning second langugea but third language :wink:

djeipa said:
Oooooohhhh, that isn't about learning second langugea but third language :wink:
Dutch is my native language :wink:

marlon