Learning Yang-Mills theory and fiber bundles geometrically

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
quickAndLucky
Messages
32
Reaction score
3
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know of a good intuitive resource for learning Yang-Mills theory and Fiber Bundles? Ultimately my goal is to gain a geometric understanding of gauge theory generally. I have been studying differential forms and exterior calculus. Thanks!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
I know several resources for this topic, but I don't find any of them particularly intuitive. So I will wait to see what will the others recommend.
 
Demystifier said:
I know several resources for this topic, but I don't find any of them particularly intuitive. So I will wait to see what will the others recommend.
Nobody else seems to have anything in mind. Would appreciate hearing what you have used!
 
quickAndLucky said:
Nobody else seems to have anything in mind. Would appreciate hearing what you have used!
I'm interested in the answers, as well, especially because of the intuition requirement. My own intuition ends with the imagination of a field of wheat. And from there to the technical details is a long, long way.
 
Nakahara’s Geometry, Topology & Physics is a popular choice. I started learning differential geometry from it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Demystifier
I'ver recently found

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3319684388/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I've not read much in the book yet. So I can't say, whether it's good or not, but it seems to cover a lot of the mathematical foundations, usually not found in standard QFT textbooks for physicists, and it's written in the Mathematicians' dry style ;-)).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: George Jones and Demystifier