What are some example Feynman diagrams in Yang-Mills theory?

In summary, The conversation discussed Yang-Mills theory in advanced quantum field theory and specifically focused on the Feynman rules for non-abelian gauge theory in chapter 72 of Srednicki's book. The speaker was unable to provide sample diagrams for the theory due to the complexity of dealing with ghosts and anti-ghosts. The conversation concluded with a suggestion to look at a wiki article or a chart for examples of diagrams and interactions in Yang-Mills theory.
John Greger
TL;DR Summary
Trying to find some example Feynman diagrams for Yang-Mills theory
Hi!

So I have just been studying Yang-Mills theory advanced quantum field theory.

In chapter 72 of Srednicki's book Quantum Field Theory they list the Feynman rules for non-abelian gauge theory.

I was asked if I could show some sample allowed diagrams but I could not.. In standard particle physics, it's more straightforward just preserving some quantum numbers. But I'm not so sure now when we are dealing with ghosts and anti-ghosts. P

Could anyone show me, or show me a source of some example diagrams and interactions in Yang-Mills theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about this wiki article on Yang Mills?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang–Mills_theory

or this chart:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Feynman-rules-for-Yang-Mills-theories-Solid-lines-are-fermion-propagators-wavy-lines_fig5_286310365

1. What is Yang-Mills theory?

Yang-Mills theory is a quantum field theory that describes the interactions between elementary particles, specifically the strong nuclear force between quarks and gluons. It is a fundamental theory in the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. What are Feynman diagrams?

Feynman diagrams are graphical representations used in quantum field theory to visualize and calculate the interactions between particles. They were developed by physicist Richard Feynman and are an essential tool in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles.

3. Can you give an example of a Feynman diagram in Yang-Mills theory?

An example of a Feynman diagram in Yang-Mills theory is the gluon-gluon scattering process, where two gluons interact and exchange energy and momentum. This process can be represented by a diagram with two gluon lines connecting at a vertex.

4. How are Yang-Mills theory and Feynman diagrams related?

Yang-Mills theory provides the mathematical framework for understanding the interactions between particles, while Feynman diagrams are a visual representation of these interactions. Feynman diagrams are used to calculate the amplitudes of different particle interactions in Yang-Mills theory.

5. Are there any other examples of Feynman diagrams in Yang-Mills theory?

Yes, there are many other examples of Feynman diagrams in Yang-Mills theory, such as quark-antiquark annihilation, quark-gluon scattering, and gluon self-interactions. Each of these diagrams represents a different particle interaction and contributes to the overall understanding of Yang-Mills theory.