Moment of inertia of a uniform square plate

In summary, the author placed their Oxy coordinate system at the center of the square and then divided it into thin vertical strips, each of height 2L and base dx. The integral for the n-th time yielded the correct answer of 4M/L^2.
lorenz0
Homework Statement
Find the moment of inertia of a uniform square plate of mass M and side L rotating around an axis through its diagonal.
Relevant Equations
##I=\int r^2 dm##
I placed my Oxy coordinate system at the center of the square, the ##x##-axis pointing rightwards and the ##y##-axis pointing upwards.
I divided the square into thin vertical strips, each of height ##h=2(\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}-x)##, base ##dx## and mass ##dm=\sigma h dx=\frac{M}{L^2}2(\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}-x)dx##, so ##I=2\int_{x=0}^{x=\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}}x^2 \frac{M}{L^2}2(\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}-x)dx=\frac{5}{12}ML^2##.

However, the solution, according to the exercise, should be ##\frac{1}{12}ML^2## but I haven't been able to see what I am doing wrong so I would appreciate if someone would help me see where my mistake is. Thanks.

Attachments

• square.png
    square.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 101
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your work in computing the integral.

Likes lorenz0
Orodruin said:
Please show your work in computing the integral.
Well... doing the integral for the ##n##-th time now I get the correct answer. I don't know why I kept getting it wrong before ...
Here it is:

##I=2\int_{x=0}^{x=\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}}x^2 \frac{M}{L^2}2(\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}-x)dx=\frac{4M}{L^2}\int_{0}^{L/\sqrt{2}}(\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}x^2-x^3)dx=\frac{4M}{L^2}\left(\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}\int_{0}^{\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}}x^2dx-\int_{0}^{\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}}x^3dx\right)=\frac{4M}{L^2}\left( \frac{L}{3\sqrt{2}}\cdot\frac{L^3}{2^{3/2}}-\frac{1}{4}\cdot\frac{L^4}{4} \right)=\frac{4M}{L^2}\left( \frac{L^4}{3\cdot 4}-\frac{1}{4}\cdot\frac{L^4}{4} \right)=\frac{4M}{L^2}\cdot\frac{L^4}{4}\left(\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{4}\right)=\frac{1}{12}ML^2.##

lorenz0 said:
Well... doing the integral for the ##n##-th time now I get the correct answer. I don't know why I kept getting it wrong before ...
Here it is:

##I=2\int_{x=0}^{x=\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}}x^2 \frac{M}{L^2}2(\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}-x)dx=\frac{4M}{L^2}\int_{0}^{L/\sqrt{2}}(\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}x^2-x^3)dx=\frac{4M}{L^2}\left(\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}\int_{0}^{\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}}x^2dx-\int_{0}^{\frac{L}{\sqrt{2}}}x^3dx\right)=\frac{4M}{L^2}\left( \frac{L}{3\sqrt{2}}\cdot\frac{L^3}{2^{3/2}}-\frac{1}{4}\cdot\frac{L^4}{4} \right)=\frac{4M}{L^2}\left( \frac{L^4}{3\cdot 4}-\frac{1}{4}\cdot\frac{L^4}{4} \right)=\frac{4M}{L^2}\cdot\frac{L^4}{4}\left(\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{4}\right)=\frac{1}{12}ML^2.##
It happens. Sometimes you just need a bit of a nudge.

The easiest way to do the integral is to use the substitution ##x = Ls/\sqrt 2##, the integral then becomes
$$
I = ML^2 \int_0^1(s^2-s^3)ds = ML^2 \left(\frac 13 - \frac 14\right) = \frac{ML^2}{12}.
$$

An even easier way of doing the problem is noting that, due to the symmetry of the square, the moment of inertia must be the same for any axis lying in the plane of the square and passing through the square center. You can therefore just as well compute the MoI relative to an axis through the center parallel to two sides (and orthogonal to the others). This will be the same as the MoI of a rod relative to its center, i.e.,
$$
I = 2\frac{M}{L}\int_0^{L/2} x^2 dx = \frac{2M}{L} \frac{(L/2)^3}3 = \frac{ML^2}{12}.
$$
Of course, the result is the same - as it should be.

Likes lorenz0

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that represents its resistance to rotational motion. It is a measure of how difficult it is to change the rotational velocity of an object.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated for a uniform square plate?

The moment of inertia for a uniform square plate can be calculated using the formula I = (1/12) * m * (a^2 + b^2), where m is the mass of the plate and a and b are the length of two adjacent sides.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a uniform square plate?

The moment of inertia of a uniform square plate is affected by its mass, thickness, and the distribution of its mass. The shape of the plate also plays a role, as a square plate will have a different moment of inertia than a rectangular plate with the same mass and thickness.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a square plate compare to other shapes?

Compared to other shapes with the same mass and thickness, a square plate will have a higher moment of inertia. This is because it has a larger distance between its center of mass and its outer edges, making it more resistant to rotational motion.

5. Why is the concept of moment of inertia important in physics?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand how objects behave when they are rotating. It is also used in calculations involving rotational motion, such as the angular acceleration of an object. Additionally, moment of inertia is a key factor in designing structures and machines that need to withstand rotational forces.