Left-over AC voltage in a half-wave rectifier

In summary, my professor gave us a formula for the left-over output AC voltage in a half-wave rectifier. This formula was given without any calculus or explanation as to how it was obtained. The Attempt at a SolutionI don't know if Vm is the peak input voltage or the peak secondary voltage (see image below). I do know that Vth is the threshold voltage of a diode; 0.7V for Silicon and 0.3V for Germanium. Does anybody know how this formula was obtained? I've read the chapters twice and I still don't have a clue.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

My professor gave us a formula for the left-over output AC voltage in a half-wave rectifier. This formula was given without any calculus or explanation as to how it was obtained.

Homework Equations

[tex]V_{out(AC)}\simeq (0.385)(V_m-V_{th})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if Vm is the peak input voltage or the peak secondary voltage (see image below). I do know that Vth is the threshold voltage of a diode; 0.7V for Silicon and 0.3V for Germanium.

half-wave-rectifier.JPG

Does anybody know how this formula was obtained? I don't have any information in my textbook on it and I've read the chapters twice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vm is most likely the secondary voltage that's being rectified. If I had to guess, I'd suggest that the formula would come from some tinkering with the Fourier series of the rectified signal. One can pull out the DC component and the various AC harmonics...

Thank you gneill. Next time I see the professor I'll ask him about this.

FYI, curiosity overcame me this morning so I took the Fourier series of an ideal half-rectified sinewave and extracted the total RMS AC component of the signal. I found an exact expression for the constant:

##\frac{\sqrt{\pi^2 - 4}}{2 \pi} ≈ 0.385589...##

So if a transformer were to be involved, this RMS AC voltage would be based on the *secondary* peak voltage, not the primary peak voltage, right?

My professor didn't say whether the AC was peak or RMS but you have clarified that. Thank you. I'm going to have a discussion about the lack of specificity in this class.

JJBladester said:
So if a transformer were to be involved, this RMS AC voltage would be based on the *secondary* peak voltage, not the primary peak voltage, right?
Yes, it has to be the secondary peak voltage since the formula subtracts the diode drop which occurs in the secondary circuit.
My professor didn't say whether the AC was peak or RMS but you have clarified that. Thank you. I'm going to have a discussion about the lack of specificity in this class.
Good luck with that :smile: :smile: :smile:

Back from class. The teacher let me grab the chalk and draw a tranformer hooked up to a rectifier circuit. I explained my confusion and he confirmed that his formula relates to the secondary peak voltage. I've gotten more help from Physics Forums than my expensive college courses. Thanks yet again.

1. What is "left-over AC voltage" in a half-wave rectifier?

"Left-over AC voltage" refers to the portion of the AC input voltage that is not converted to DC output in a half-wave rectifier circuit. This voltage is typically in the form of a ripple or fluctuation superimposed on the DC output signal.

2. Why does "left-over AC voltage" occur in a half-wave rectifier?

Left-over AC voltage occurs because a half-wave rectifier only allows current to flow in one direction, meaning it only uses one half of the AC input cycle. The other half of the cycle is not utilized and results in the left-over AC voltage.

3. How does the amount of "left-over AC voltage" affect the performance of a half-wave rectifier?

The amount of left-over AC voltage can affect the efficiency and stability of a half-wave rectifier. A higher amount of left-over AC voltage can result in a larger ripple in the DC output signal, which can impact the performance of any devices connected to the rectifier.

4. Can "left-over AC voltage" be eliminated in a half-wave rectifier?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate left-over AC voltage in a half-wave rectifier. However, it can be reduced by using a filter circuit or by using a full-wave rectifier instead, which utilizes both halves of the AC input cycle.

5. How does the choice of diode affect the amount of "left-over AC voltage" in a half-wave rectifier?

The type of diode used in a half-wave rectifier can affect the amount of left-over AC voltage. For example, a Schottky diode has a lower forward voltage drop and can result in a lower amount of left-over AC voltage compared to a regular diode. However, the type of diode used will not eliminate left-over AC voltage entirely.