Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Left/Right Multiplication Maps on Algebras ... Bresar

1. Dec 3, 2016 #1
    I am reading Matej Bresar's book, "Introduction to Noncommutative Algebra" and am currently focussed on Chapter 1: Finite Dimensional Division Algebras ... ...

I need help with the proof of Lemma 1.24 ...

Lemma 1.24 reads as follows:

?temp_hash=695688f2306bf2924c46d39e19428801.png

My questions regarding the proof of Lemma 1.24 are as follows ... ...

Question 1

In the above proof by Bresar, we read:

" ... ... Since ##A## is simple, the ideal generated by ##b_n## is equal to ##A##.

That is ##\sum_{ j = 1 }^m w_j b_n z_j = 1## for some ##w_j , z_J \in A##. ... ... "

My question is ... ... how/why does the fact that the ideal generated by ##b_n## being equal to ##A## ...

imply that ... ##\sum_{ j = 1 }^m w_j b_n z_j = 1## for some ##w_j , z_J \in A## ...?

Question 2

In the above proof by Bresar, we read:

" ... ##0 = \sum_{ j = 1 }^m R_{ z_j } \ ( \sum_{ i = 1 }^n L_{ a_i } R_{ b_i } ) \ R_{ w_j }##

##= \sum_{ i = 1 }^n L_{ a_i } \ ( \sum_{ j = 1 }^m R_{ w_j b_i z_j } )##

##= \sum_{ i = 1 }^n L_{ a_i } R_{ c_i }##

... ... "

My questions are

(a) can someone help me to understand how

##\sum_{ j = 1 }^m R_{ z_j } \ ( \sum_{ i = 1 }^n L_{ a_i } R_{ b_i } ) \ R_{ w_j }##

##= \sum_{ i = 1 }^n L_{ a_i } \ ( \sum_{ j = 1 }^m R_{ w_j b_i z_j } ) ##

(b) can someone help me to understand how

##\sum_{ i = 1 }^n L_{ a_i } \ ( \sum_{ j = 1 }^m R_{ w_j b_i z_j } ) ##

##= \sum_{ i = 1 }^n L_{ a_i } R_{ c_i }##

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

=========================================================================

*** NOTE ***

So that readers of the above post will be able to understand the context and notation of the post ... I am providing Bresar's first two pages on Multiplication Algebras ... ... as follows:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Q1:
    What does it mean to be an ideal ##I## of ##A##?
    For a (two-sided!) ideal, it has to hold, that ##A\cdot I \subseteq I## and ##I\cdot A \subseteq I##. Since ##b_n \in I##, we need to have all left and right multiples to also be in ##I##. So all elements of the form ##w_jb_nz_j## are together with ##b_n## also elements of ##I##.
    Furthermore an ideal is closed under addition, so all summations of elements of ##I## are again in ##I##, esp. any sum ##\sum_{j=1}^{m} w_jb_nz_j##. This is simultaneously the most general form of any element of ##I = <b_n> = A\cdot I \cdot A##.

Q2:
    We have ##\sum_{i=1}^{n} L_{a_i}R_{b_i} = 0 \; (^*) \;## by assumption.
    Then let us define ##\sum_{j=1}^{m} w_jb_iz_j =: c_i \; (^{**}) \;##, simply as an abbreviation for these sums ##c_1, \ldots , c_n##.
    Because all sums are finite, we won't have to bother any order of summation.
    At last let us assume we have an arbitrary element ##x \in A##.

Now calculate ##\left( \sum_{j=1}^{m} R_{z_j} \left( \sum_{i=1}^{n} L_{a_i}R_{b_i} \right) R_{w_j} \right)(x)## by using ##(^*)## and ##(^{**})##.

4. Dec 4, 2016 #3
    Thanks again for your assistance, fresh_42 ...

Most helpful ...

Peter

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted