Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Lemmings! suicide or bungee gone wrong

1. mass suicide (stupid critters)

20.0%
  2. Bad bungee (even stupider critters)

30.0%
  3. why oh why am i asking?

50.0%
  1. Feb 24, 2006 #1
    ok we all know about the little critters called lemmings who every now and then jump off cliffs in massive groups wipeing out lots of the lemming population each time they do it. but heres the question:

is it really mass suicide or are they really stupid bungee jump enthusiasts who forget to connect the cord to their waists?

vote and discuss!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Actually, they drown themselves mostly.

4. Feb 25, 2006 #3
    i could have sworn they jump off cliffs en mass, i wonder if the cliffs overlook lakes and rivers hence them drowning?

5. Feb 25, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Possibly, lemmings live(?) in mountainous regions.

6. Feb 25, 2006 #5
  7. Feb 25, 2006 #6

Mk

8. Feb 25, 2006 #7
    humm interesting facts about lemmings that i never knew. well there goes the whole debate in big puff of smoke. damn, i was looking forward to this developing into a humerous debate

ah well any other animals out and about that are suicidal apart from humans?

9. Feb 25, 2006 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know that if you place a flame at the entrance to an ant colony, the ants will keep jumping into the fire until it's out. We used to do this as kids. Sometimes when they jumped in you could hear this little voice - God Save the Queen!

10. Feb 25, 2006 #9
    :uhh: Don't they just add more fuel to the flame and make the problem worse? :uhh:

11. Feb 25, 2006 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope. We used a candle, and they just piled on until it went out.

12. Feb 26, 2006 #11
    that would definatlly class as suicidal, but at least they are doing it for a good cause, so i think that would make it patriotism?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?