Length generated by all atoms contained in 1 gram of iron

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter joebox
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Atoms Iron Length
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
joebox
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I tried to calculate the distance resulting from Na iron atoms contained in 1 g. scaled in meters and by juxtaposing them in a single thread (segment).

I did the following calculation with:
Atomic radius : 140 E-10 meters
Na : 6 E23 atoms in 56 g. of iron

=> ( 2 x 140 E-10 x 6 E23 )/56 = 3 E14 meters...

In other words, 300 milliard KM with only 1 gram of iron... so I must have made a (or several) mistakes

Thank you for your help !

Jean-Marc
 
Physics news on Phys.org