• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Programs Length of American Phd's

• Thread starter deadringer
  • Start date
I'm a British student considering doing a Phd in America. If I do a Phd in England it should only take 3 years, but I've heard that usually American Phd's take a lot longer (e.g six years +). However I suspect that this may be because the typical American student is much less advanced when starting their Phd. If I do an MSc before starting a Phd, would it be feasible to get it done in 3/4 yrs?

The MSc courses I'm doing include:

QED
Unification
Advanced QFT
Supersymmetry
String Theory
Differential Geometry

These will all be examined, and there's also a research component of the MSc which takes the whole summer.

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It took me more years than I want to admit (mostly writing the dissertation) but certainly if you have a master's degree it should not take more than 3 years. You would want to be sure that the courses you take at one university will be accepted at the other.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I'm a British student considering doing a Phd in America. If I do a Phd in England it should only take 3 years, but I've heard that usually American Phd's take a lot longer (e.g six years +). However I suspect that this may be because the typical American student is much less advanced when starting their Phd. If I do an MSc before starting a Phd, would it be feasible to get it done in 3/4 yrs?

The MSc courses I'm doing include:

QED
Unification
Advanced QFT
Supersymmetry
String Theory
Differential Geometry

These will all be examined, and there's also a research component of the MSc which takes the whole summer.
This chapter in the essay may answer some of your questions here.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=897052&postcount=105

Zz.

Thanks very much for this info.

Zapper, In Australia, it is possible for students to finish a Phd from finishing high school in 7 years. Which includes a 4 year honours degree + 3 year Phd

Does it take longer than 7 years (from finishing high school) in America? How about the UK?

However I heard that most physics Phds in our university need to extend their Phd time to 4 years. So theoretically 7 years but practically 8 years.

pivoxa15:

BS in US: Typically 4 years
PhD immediately afterward: Mean is 5 years

So it averages 9 years. That doesn't mean you couldn't get it in 7 years. But cutting those 2 years is not necessarily in your best interest. You want to graduate when your research has developed enough (along with your knowledge and expertise) that you are well prepared for the next step after your PhD.