Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Let A = {1,2,3,4,5,6.} # of many different relations possible

1. Nov 21, 2016 #1
    How many different relations are possible? Is the question.

Is the answer the power set of AxA?
    2^36.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

4. Nov 21, 2016 #3
    HLnt9Fu.png

I do not understand this too. I am getting an empty set for it.

5. Nov 21, 2016 #4

fresh_42

No, not an empty set, because everything is related to everything without itself. The main diagonal is missing. But I cannot think of a familiar relation.
    Something like: every hand can wash every hand, but not itself. However, what is this mathematically?

Edit: e.g. the domain of ##(x,y) \longmapsto (x-y)^{-1}##.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  6. Nov 21, 2016 #5

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

This follow-up question appears to be homework, so I do not want to blurt out what seems to be the expected answer.

7. Nov 21, 2016 #6

fresh_42

Got it.

8. Nov 21, 2016 #7
    no not homework just personal reading. :) I was going over relations once more as I never got it completely the first time. It is a question in this book (and I just noticed that it has solutions there too but they are only for ODD numbered questions
    http://www.people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/

9. Nov 21, 2016 #8

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

The difficulty is that the the "homework" umbrella on these forums encompasses both material that is actual homework and material that is homework-like, even though it may not be an assigned homework problem in a course that is currently being taken.

See the sticky posting at the top of this forum: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...mework-or-any-textbook-style-questions.42532/

10. Nov 21, 2016 #9

Mark44

As jbriggs444 said, your post falls under the heading of "homework," which includes problems from books even if you are not in a course that uses that textbook.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted