1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Let A = {1,2,3,4,5,6.} # of many different relations possible

1. Nov 21, 2016 #1
    How many different relations are possible? Is the question.

Is the answer the power set of AxA?
    2^36.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

4. Nov 21, 2016 #3
    HLnt9Fu.png

I do not understand this too. I am getting an empty set for it.

5. Nov 21, 2016 #4

fresh_42

No, not an empty set, because everything is related to everything without itself. The main diagonal is missing. But I cannot think of a familiar relation.
    Something like: every hand can wash every hand, but not itself. However, what is this mathematically?

Edit: e.g. the domain of ##(x,y) \longmapsto (x-y)^{-1}##.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  6. Nov 21, 2016 #5

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

This follow-up question appears to be homework, so I do not want to blurt out what seems to be the expected answer.

7. Nov 21, 2016 #6

fresh_42

Got it.

8. Nov 21, 2016 #7
    no not homework just personal reading. :) I was going over relations once more as I never got it completely the first time. It is a question in this book (and I just noticed that it has solutions there too but they are only for ODD numbered questions
    http://www.people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/

9. Nov 21, 2016 #8

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

The difficulty is that the the "homework" umbrella on these forums encompasses both material that is actual homework and material that is homework-like, even though it may not be an assigned homework problem in a course that is currently being taken.

See the sticky posting at the top of this forum: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...mework-or-any-textbook-style-questions.42532/

10. Nov 21, 2016 #9

Mark44

As jbriggs444 said, your post falls under the heading of "homework," which includes problems from books even if you are not in a course that uses that textbook.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted