How to prove the associative law of symmetric difference?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the proof of the associative law of symmetric difference (AΔ(BΔc) = (AΔB)ΔC) using other relations of sets such as intersection, union, and complement. There is a suggestion to write the equation in terms of propositional logic and a discussion about finding a more elegant proof using only set equations with the connectives of intersection, union, and complement.
cleaf
I'm trying to prove the associative law of symmetric difference (AΔ(BΔc) = (AΔB)ΔC ) with other relations of sets.

A naive way is to compare the truth table of two sides. However, I think the symmetric difference is not a basic one, it is constructed form other relations, that is AΔB = (A\B)∪(B\A). Is it possible to prove the associative law from other relations (i.e. ∩,∪,\ )?

Physics news on Phys.org
cleaf said:
I'm trying to prove the associative law of symmetric difference (AΔ(BΔc) = (AΔB)ΔC ) with other relations of sets.

A naive way is to compare the truth table of two sides. However, I think the symmetric difference is not a basic one, it is constructed form other relations, that is AΔB = (A\B)∪(B\A). Is it possible to prove the associative law from other relations (i.e. ∩,∪,\ )?
This should be the case, so yes. It is an equation in a Boolean algebra.

cleaf said:
A naive way is to compare the truth table of two sides.

Technically, it isn't correct to speak of a truth table for a side of an equation involving sets. What you probabily mean is that an equation involving sets can be interpreted as the equivalence of two propositional functions preceeded by the quantifier ##\forall##. So the equation for sets ##A = B## can be interpreted as ##\forall x: x \in A \iff x \in B##. Pretending that "##x##" represents a specific thing instead of a quantified variable, we may be able to speak of a truth table for each side of the logical equivalence. And you are correct that this point of view can form the basis for proofs about sets.

One way is show the logical equivalence of ##x \in A\triangle (B \triangle C) \equiv x \in (A \triangle B) \triangle C## is to write each side using on the relation ##\in##, the logical connectives "and" and "or" (##\land, \lor##) and the logical operator "not" (##\lnot##). As an intermediate step you can express the two sides of the set equation using only ##\cup, \cap,## and the operation of taking the complement of a set. Statements involving ##\cap,\cup## can be interpreted as propositions involving the connectives ##\land,\lor##. (For example ##x \in A \cap B## is interpreted to mean ## (x \in A) \land (x \in B)## .)

Since it's possible to prove equivalence of two propositions in propositional logic using theorems instead of writing truth-tables, it is, in theory, possible to prove the equation you asked about in that manner.

However, your question didn't deal with breaking down both sides into pure propositional logic. You asked if the proof can be done in a more elegant manner , employing only set equations with the connectives ##\cap, \cup, \setminus## I don't know. My suggestion is to not to insist that "## \setminus ## " be used. Instead, try to write set equations using only ##\cap,\cup## and the operation of taking a complement of a set.

1. What is the associative law of symmetric difference?

The associative law of symmetric difference states that for any three sets A, B, and C, the symmetric difference operation is associative, meaning that (A Δ B) Δ C = A Δ (B Δ C).

2. How can the associative law of symmetric difference be proven?

The associative law of symmetric difference can be proven using a logical proof, where the properties of sets and the definition of symmetric difference are used to show that the equation (A Δ B) Δ C = A Δ (B Δ C) is true.

3. What is the importance of the associative law of symmetric difference?

The associative law of symmetric difference is important because it ensures that the order in which the symmetric difference operation is performed does not affect the final result. This allows for easier manipulation and simplification of equations involving sets.

4. Can you provide an example of the associative law of symmetric difference?

Yes, for sets A = {1, 2, 3}, B = {2, 3, 4}, and C = {3, 4, 5}, we have (A Δ B) Δ C = ({1, 4} Δ {3, 5}) = {1, 3, 4, 5} and A Δ (B Δ C) = ({1, 2} Δ {5}) = {1, 2, 5}. Both results are the same, proving the associative law of symmetric difference.

5. Are there any other laws or properties related to the associative law of symmetric difference?

Yes, there are other laws and properties related to the associative law of symmetric difference, such as the commutative law (A Δ B = B Δ A) and the identity law (A Δ ∅ = A). These laws, along with the associative law, make up the algebraic structure of sets known as a group.