Let F and y both be continuous for simplicity. Knowing that:[tex]

• Thread starter Malmstrom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuous
In summary, based on the given condition, \int_0^x F'(t)y^2(t) dt = F(x) \quad \forall x \geq 0, it can be concluded that the function y is bounded with |y(x)|=1 for all x>0. However, if F(x) \equiv 0, then no conclusion can be made about the boundedness of y(x).
Malmstrom
Let F and y both be continuous for simplicity. Knowing that:
[tex] \int_0^x F'(t)y^2(t) dt = F(x) \quad \forall x \geq 0 [/tex]
can you say that the function [tex] y[/tex] is bounded? Why? I know that [tex] \int_0^x F'(t) dt = F(x) [/tex] but I can't find a suitable inequality to prove rigorously that y is bounded.

Physics news on Phys.org

Malmstrom said:
Let F and y both be continuous for simplicity. Knowing that:
[tex] \int_0^x F'(t)y^2(t) dt = F(x) \quad \forall x \geq 0 [/tex]
can you say that the function [tex] y[/tex] is bounded? Why? I know that [tex] \int_0^x F'(t) dt = F(x) [/tex] but I can't find a suitable inequality to prove rigorously that y is bounded.

Taking derivatives of both sides F'(x)y2(x)=F'(x) for all x>0, so |y(x)|=1.

mathman said:

Unless, [itex]F(x) = C[/itex] in which case the condition you gave us is [itex]0 = C[/itex]. So, if [itex]F(x) \equiv 0[/itex] we can't say anything about the function [itex]y(x)[/itex].

mathman said:

Thanks, I was missing something very easy.

1. What does it mean for F and y to be continuous?

Continuity is a property of a function that means it has no breaks or gaps in its graph. This means that the function is defined at every point along the x-axis and there are no sudden jumps or discontinuities in its values.

2. Why is it important for F and y to be continuous?

Continuity is important because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of the function. It also ensures that the function is well-defined and can be used in various mathematical calculations.

3. How can we determine if F and y are continuous?

We can determine if F and y are continuous by checking if the limit of the function exists at every point along the x-axis and if it is equal to the value of the function at that point. If these conditions are met, then the function is continuous.

4. What happens if F and y are not continuous?

If F and y are not continuous, then the function may have breaks or gaps in its graph, which can lead to incorrect conclusions or predictions. It also means that the function may not be well-defined and cannot be used in certain mathematical calculations.

5. Can F and y be continuous at some points but not at others?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be continuous at some points but not at others. This is known as a piecewise continuous function, where different parts of the function have different conditions for continuity. For example, a piecewise continuous function may have a break or gap at a certain point, but is still continuous at all other points.