Let's have a Get-To-Know-Each-Other

• Thread starter Ephratah7
  • Start date
In summary, VashtiMaiden is a newbie who has been a member for about 3 years and 4 months. She is excited for the next 3 years or 4 months.
used to be a commercial fisherman in Alaska, studying physics now (senior undergrad). I like Pink Floyd and Iron Maiden, want to get into particle physics. Play piano and guitar (well, used to I guess.. physics must have replaced the ambition or killed it or something)

Physics news on Phys.org
I got he flu back in November, and haven't posted as much (very little actually). I realized that time is precious and started working on my project again. I'll be posting (probably) less frequently for a while.

ps--this was about the last thread that I read and decided to post to it to explain where I've been (if anyone was interested)

High-school drop-out. 52, in a 3-year common-law marriage. (Apparently, I also love hyphens, but I never noticed that before.)
If PF had a 'Weirdness Guru' position, I would probably be a front-runner.

Hi, I'm physarrista.
I quit med-school to pursue my interest in physics, much to the horror of the rest of my family.

I'm a 27 year old guy living in the US and have been a member of the forum for probably three years or so. i don't post very often, but i do read most of the more interesting topics. I'm very much into music... favorite band is the Floyd. I'm self-employed, working on and repairing home PCs. I'm onto the performance and gaming aspects of computers. I'm also into Porsches and classic cars, and again, I'm into the performance and innovation side of it.

I was a NOC technician for a local and long distance phone company for three and a half years. Before that I was an automotive technician of two years, concentrating more so on engine diagnostics and electrical than anything else. I first started working as a CNC machinist for a smaller company that made aluminum and plastic pieces for aviation and general industrial use... pretty much turning drawings into parts. Did that for seven and a half years and would have continued if not for personal reasons.

Never went to college but in grade school, I always won the science fairs.:biggrin:. I'm actually planning on starting college this summer in hopes of eventually getting a computer science degree or maybe even working towards an engineering degree. I'm starting to think that I had ADD as a child and probably still do... I couldn't remember the most blantant things yet I could cite average distances from the sun to each planet and name each planets moon if it had one lol. I was a science NUT when I was young... reading every paleontology, astronomy, environmental science, archeology and biology book i could get my hands on at the library. I also remember people making fun of me for taking encyclopedias to places to read. I went on a few fossil digs, actually went to space camp (yeah, i know:rofl:) in Huntsville, AL for two years and LOVED it.

Did i mention i like science?

20ish, an English mechanical engineer with a penchant for kit cars, making/breaking things, and all things musical. I'm just starting to teach myself astronomy.

Well, forum related I'm in editing hell on my MS in Physics with Astrophysics as my specialty. Meaning I don't officially have the piece of paper yet but just have to actually sit my commitee down and defend.

As for my job I actually teach physical science at local community colleges, not the easiest thing to do in Missouri. There's a fossil on my desk right now with a note taped to it, because when my students demand proof of evolution better then the bible I can lecture until my voice gives out- but pointing to it and telling them to read the note saves everyone lots of time.

Anyway, I pretend to be a pastafarian in public- Intelligent Design is another hot button topic for me- but am actually an agnostic apatheist. Ask me if I think God exists and my answer is "I don't know and I don't care", seriously. My callsign comes from someone who took exception to my "romantic humanist anarchist" political views and made sure I knew their objections with a long string of insults that capped off with "Gleeful Nihilist". I thought this was hilarious and kept it.

As for future plans I don't really do much planning, sort of a "life is what happens while you're making plans" philosophy. I say world domination as a semi-joke. I happen to think I'd do a good job but don't feel like putting in the work, but that's a discussiono for another time. Space oriented career sounds like fun though.

I hate to suggest to have another 'sticky' to the list--but this would be good to 'get to know' who the members are, and that it wouldn't be buried as time goes by.

I'm a high school senior who's brain still hasn't been completely warped by academia, although I plan to change that(I will be majoring in ChemE next fall). I found this site by googling Calculus Forums in hope of finding a site with solid math help. My hopes were fulfilled.

Hello. My name is Brandon and I just started my account this afternoon. I have been studying cosmology for the last 2 weeks religiously. I have quite a big background on astronomy and astrology, however until recently I have never indulged this much in the universe. I would have to say the kicker was reading "Universe" by Nicolas Cheetham and "Dark Cosmos" by Dan Hooper. These two books have propelled my understanding of what was a minor subject in high school, to astronomical heights as a 22 year old highly motivated individual. In only 2 short weeks I feel I have a very tight grasp upon the subjects surrounding cosmology, including Einstein's theory of Relativity, quantum physics, ect. Obviously only studying this subject for a short period of time warrants me useless when it comes to formulas and other types of academics within these studies. The general concept however is understood quite clearly. I joined to meet others who think as I do and those who I might perhaps be able to exchange thoughts with. After all, we are in the this universe together. Thus we might as well learn about it.

I am a 19 yr old female. I love math and science. I'm am going to college for a degree in Mechanical Engineering :) I am the only girl in my engineering classes, and it doesn't bother me one bit.

When I was younger my parents thought I would be an engineer and here I am on my way, I have always been enthused by watching all the gears on a merry-go-round.

I'm a 19 yo Freshman Physics Major (adding a Maths major when I come back next semester).

I carry that ridiculously huge Young and Freedman physics book to class (2000 pages and heavier then my desk). I like doing pure math as well as Physics but dislike other areas of applied math (if you consider physics applied math). My favorite subjects so far are Relativity, Thermodynamics, Number Theory and Abstract Algebra.

I like all types of music such as Classic Rock, Classical, Hindi Music, Heavy/Death/Thrash/Nu/Power Metal, and some indie Pop type stuff. My favorite bands/musicians are Tool, The Beatles, Smashing Pumpkins, Tori Amos, Megadeth etc etc.

I extremely dislike James Stewart's Calculus book that our school uses.

Oh and my two main heroes are GH Hardy and Einstein as of right now...

I like to talk about my self a lot so I should probably cut this short :rofl::shy:

Evo said:
All of it.

Here is my cat's ad.

I bought 9 sessions and never got my oppossum. :frown: