Let's have a Get-To-Know-Each-Other

• Thread starter Ephratah7
  • Start date
In summary, VashtiMaiden is a newbie who has been a member for about 3 years and 4 months. She is excited for the next 3 years or 4 months.
Ephratah7
Let's have a "Get-To-Know-Each-Other"

o:) Good day (Night) to you all! You've been a member in this Forum and yet, I believe that you still don't know the other members here in this forum. :smile: ... and I believe that there are also newbie here. Let's have a "Get-To-Know-Each-Other" .. ^___^.. Who wants to start?

Physics news on Phys.org
OK.

Been a member of this forum for about 5 years. As Schrodinger's Dog for about 3 I think (problem with my account) Long story.

Resident in the UK. Currently taking a year out after 3 years of part time study, doing maths to bring me up to degree level. Hope to study a physics degree next year.

I'm a mature student, so older than the average student, 35 in fact. Although I have to admit I have the mental age of a 14 year old, and no I'm not joking. :smile:

Currently "between Jobs" as well, had to leave my last job because of health reasons (asthma) which is why I'm cluttering up this forum with my usual misguided tomfoolery. Working on and off atm, nothing permanent though.

I want to be a Clinical Scientist when I grow up, or a train driver or a astronaut.

Say anything about yourself, or the reason why you joined this forum, etc.

You might want to add those photos to the member photo thread at the top of this part of the forum.

You can also introduce yourself there too.

:smile: Hello, guys. I am VashtiMaiden. but my real name is Frances Margaret. Just like Ephratah7, I'm also from the Philippines. And I'm proud to be a Filipina.

Wow... "Im proud to be a Filipina/Filipino". That's my fellow filipino's lines.

I'm just new here.

VashtiMaiden said:
:smile: Hello, guys. I am VashtiMaiden. but my real name is Frances Margaret. Just like Ephratah7, I'm also from the Philippines. And I'm proud to be a Filipina.

Wow... "Im proud to be a Filipina/Filipino". That's my fellow filipino's lines.

I'm just new here.

WELCOME TO PF. ^_____^

hi, I am basePARTICLE while I am calculating my magnitude.

Hey. I'm Jeans, a lot I've been a member for about 6 months. Many people here call me MJ, I prefer Jeans ^^. Schrodinger's Dog may have the mental state of a 14 year old, but I am a 14 year old.

I'm currently studying differential equations, optics, Java programming, some writing and argumentative courses, and working in an Ion Beam accellerator lab (mostly in the clean room. Check the second to last page in member photos), doing research (unfortunately the research is confidential).

Math Jeans said:
Hey. I'm Jeans, a lot I've been a member for about 6 months. Many people here call me MJ, I prefer Jeans ^^. Schrodinger's Dog may have the mental state of a 14 year old, but I am a 14 year old.
I had no idea you wanted to be called Jeans. Now I know. :smile:

I used to be the nicest person on earth. Everyone said my only fault was that I was too nice.

Now I am a mean, old, crotchety, set in my ways, harpie. I prefer the dark and would be happy living in a cave.

I enjoy gourmet cooking, gardening, astronomy and ancient history. I am owned by a cat that runs an illegal possum smuggling ring and a canine fruitbat.

Evo said:
I used to be the nicest person on earth. Everyone said my only fault was that I was too nice.

Now I am a mean, old, crotchety, set in my ways, harpie. I prefer the dark and would be happy living in a cave.

I enjoy gourmet cooking, gardening, astronomy and ancient history. I am owned by a cat that runs an illegal possum smuggling ring and a canine fruitbat.

How much of that is true?

Math Jeans said:
How much of that is true?
All of it.

Here is my cat's ad.

Attachments

• DrFoofer1.jpg
    DrFoofer1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 395
Evo said:
All of it.

Here is my cat's ad.

I'm surprised your cat hasn't been caught advertising illegal business like that.

Kurdt said:
I'm surprised your cat hasn't been caught advertising illegal business like that.
He swears the possums are legit, I admit his paperwork does seem in order. It's just odd that they show up only at night and don't appear to speak English.

geeez i love cats, but I do not own one

Ephratah7 said:
o:) Good day (Night) to you all! You've been a member in this Forum and yet, I believe that you still don't know the other members here in this forum. :smile: ... and I believe that there are also newbie here. Let's have a "Get-To-Know-Each-Other" .. ^___^.. Who wants to start?
OK, I'll start. Yes, I'm a newbie and have been for about 3 years and 4 months now. Before I joined, my life was rather boring. But since I started posting, the most fantastic things have happened to me. I find it hard to believe half of it myself. I look forward to the next 3 years and 4 months and hope you do too.

jimmysnyder said:
OK, I'll start.

Sorry pal, but I've to tell you:

You're too late

As regards me, I usually don't let people know much about me. What I can tell though is that I've recently made up for my A-Levels and after all I'm now planning to attend the MIT or - as a second choice - the German University of Aix-La-Chapelle RWTH Aachen by next year, or so. ASAP, that is after I've passed all nessesary tests.
Then, I will hopefully graduate in Physics and aerospace engineering.

Hi, I'm Sarah. I'm 33 years old and work as a lawyer. I have a degree in Classics from Bowdoin College, and a law degree from the Univ of Maine School of Law. My primary area of practice is estate planning, probate and elder law, but I also represent kids and parents in child protective/family cases, and do Social Security Disability work.

Although I'm a nonscientist, and have very little formal scientific education, lately I have developed a strong enthusiasm/respect for science, and enjoy reading on lots of different topics. I have a special interest in physics, and am very pleased to have found this site! I have already learned so much since being here.

Another major interest of mine is running, specifically ultrarunning. I train for and run races of very long distances--I have completed several races at the 50K and 50 mile distance, and last year I completed my first 100 mile race.

Best wishes to all!

Sarah

{waves} Friends call me Patty. I've been a member for 6 years. I had well over 1,000 posts, then they reset the post counts on a forums change some years back. With my work load, I just have never been able to get back up to speed.
I love antiques{books pottery textiles}, rocks and minerals, gardening, anything to with cars and animals.
I started school at U of Colorado, and finnished at Wayne State{Detroit}. Hah, many moons ago.

I'm Lisa. I live in Washington State. I have a BS in physics from the U. of Washington, but I work as a chemist (:confused: long story). Right after I graduated I took off about 9 years to be a stay-home mom. Loved it! But I forgot a lot of my physics :frown:, which is why I started hanging out here. I've been here about 6 months. It's a great resource. Plus the people in GD are whackos.

My life revolves around my family - we have a teen daughter who gives me sleepless nights and grey hair (those of you who raised more than one - my hat's off to you! And now that my hat's off you can see that, in fact, I am getting grey hairs...). Also in the family are two very large dogs and one sweet cat.

I love skiing and hiking (my family isn't fond of the hikes...my hubby calls them "forced marches"). I love cooking too, but don't get enough time to do it as much as I'd like.

Sarah_Heck said:
Another major interest of mine is running, specifically ultrarunning. I train for and run races of very long distances--I have completed several races at the 50K and 50 mile distance, and last year I completed my first 100 mile race.

Best wishes to all!

Sarah

Wow! Thats excellent. I really ought to start running again, I'm very unfit.

Sarah - got any miracle cures for plantar fasciitis?

I enjoy working out, but I will not run, too hard on the joints.

No one understands me, so i live under a bridge (cottage) in a very small village, i like most things of the bygone times and not much of modern stuff, i would quite happily go back 200yrs or so and suffer the pains of the era rather than this live in this cesspit.

lisab said:
I'm Lisa. I live in Washington State.

Well, hello neighbor!

I, too, live in Washington State. I am 40, female, and have a teenager. I didn't get a degree in physics, although I always wish I had. It is far more interesting than accounting, but I make too much money to change careers now. So I just lurk here and read the science threads, but occasionally get tempted to post in the off topic. I love astro physics, but am absolutely amazed with those who study quantum mechanics. QM makes my head spin! I read as much as I can about QM to try to wrap my pea brain around the subject, but not much makes sense. If I could go back 20 years, I think that is what I would go into, just to try to understand what can't be seen. I think what is going on at CERN and Fermilab (and other particle accelerator labs too) is awesome. I have seen many advances in science, and hope to see many many more in the next half of my life.

Oh, and I am a newbie here. And I absolutely LOVE those teeny TINY rainbow colored tetra fish. :rofl: Obviously I didn't introduce myself earlier for a certain reason... I know!:yuck:

Oh, and I love how cranks are nipped in the bud here.

Ms Music said:
And I absolutely LOVE those teeny TINY rainbow colored tetra fish. :rofl: Obviously I didn't introduce myself earlier for a certain reason... I know!:yuck:.

Carefull! Any idea of the impact power of a deep freezed package of a few thousend of these?

http://www.shop.akva.sk/images/phenacogrammus_interruptus_x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
Have you tried orthotics yet? They have really helped mine.

HI, guys I'm studying electrical engineering in the BUE -British University in Egypt-, hoping that one day I can transfer to Loughbrough university -BUE's partner- and live in the UK.
my b-day is in 14th march, by then I'll be 19.

I must say that not many ppl understand me and understand how I think, I don't even understand myself at sometimes,lol...Is it normal to feel confused yet at the same time think that you have everything figured out?!
Living in Egyptian society is not hard -very friendly and respectful- but unfortunately there's still a fair amount of ignorance and tabooism in here, which is one of the reasons I want to live in the UK.

Although I have a relative in the US, I prefer the UK because of excellent academia...hope i wasn't too long.

Hi, I'm Moonbear, and I'm a PF addict. :uhh: I've been around here too long to remember.

My kitten is covering the duck that Jeans' isn't. :biggrin: (Now that I know he doesn't want to be called MJ...after I also finally figured out that he is a he and not a she...Jeans made me think of the female name Jean :redface:.)

Welcome to all the new folks!

lisab said:

Good arch supports? Or a good sofa? :biggrin:

I'll gladly walk for miles and miles, but running...no way! Even standing is starting to get to me (finally found a good set of orthotic insoles to give me good arch support and cushioning so my knees and back stop hurting from standing all day...I'm genetically doomed to require knee surgery sometime in my future; my aunt and cousin already had knee surgery and had the same oddly constructed knees that I have :frown:, so I'm doing everything I can to delay that as long as possible.)

I stand on tile over cement floors for most of the day, I found that orthotic arch support insoles with gel heel cushions work really good for me. I also do gentle plantar tendon streching befor I get out of bed. Befor the insoles, some mornings I could not put weight on my left foot. It is getting better.

Cats are cute!

Even though my name is George Jones, people pay me not to sing.

Pictures of me are https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1244000&postcount=2882".

I like walking, I like classic music, classic rock and classical, and I like reading. I just finished the novel The Lost Highway by David Adams Richards and am now reading the (dual) biography Two Lives by Vikram Seth.

Last edited by a moderator:
George Jones said:
Even though my name is George Jones, people pay me not to sing.
Why not..?

VashtiMaiden said:
Why not..?

You may be too young to know, but a famous country singer has the same name as I do, so I was making a joke.

One of my brothers has perfect pitch, and he tells me that I couldn't carry a tune in a bushel basket. My daughter has yet to realize this.