Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Let's have a Get-To-Know-Each-Other

1. Mar 7, 2008 #1
    Let's have a "Get-To-Know-Each-Other"

o:) Good day (Night) to you all! You've been a member in this Forum and yet, I believe that you still don't know the other members here in this forum. :smile: ... and I believe that there are also newbie here. Let's have a "Get-To-Know-Each-Other" .. ^___^.. Who wants to start?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2008 #2
    OK.

Been a member of this forum for about 5 years. As Schrodinger's Dog for about 3 I think (problem with my account) Long story.

Resident in the UK. Currently taking a year out after 3 years of part time study, doing maths to bring me up to degree level. Hope to study a physics degree next year.

I'm a mature student, so older than the average student, 35 in fact. Although I have to admit I have the mental age of a 14 year old, and no I'm not joking. :smile:

Currently "between Jobs" as well, had to leave my last job because of health reasons (asthma) which is why I'm cluttering up this forum with my usual misguided tomfoolery. Working on and off atm, nothing permanent though.

I want to be a Clinical Scientist when I grow up, or a train driver or a astronaut.

4. Mar 7, 2008 #3
    Say anything about yourself, or the reason why you joined this forum, etc.

5. Mar 7, 2008 #4
    You might want to add those photos to the member photo thread at the top of this part of the forum.

You can also introduce yourself there too.

6. Mar 7, 2008 #5
    :smile: Hello, guys. I am VashtiMaiden. but my real name is Frances Margaret. Just like Ephratah7, I'm also from the Philippines. And I'm proud to be a Filipina.

Wow... "Im proud to be a Filipina/Filipino". That's my fellow filipino's lines.

I'm just new here.

7. Mar 7, 2008 #6
    WELCOME TO PF. ^_____^

8. Mar 7, 2008 #7
    hi, I am basePARTICLE while I am calculating my magnitude.

9. Mar 7, 2008 #8
    Hey. I'm Jeans, alot I've been a member for about 6 months. Many people here call me MJ, I prefer Jeans ^^. Schrodinger's Dog may have the mental state of a 14 year old, but I am a 14 year old.

I'm currently studying differential equations, optics, Java programming, some writing and argumentative courses, and working in an Ion Beam accellerator lab (mostly in the clean room. Check the second to last page in member photos), doing research (unfortunately the research is confidential).

10. Mar 7, 2008 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I had no idea you wanted to be called Jeans. Now I know. :smile:

11. Mar 7, 2008 #10

Evo

I used to be the nicest person on earth. Everyone said my only fault was that I was too nice.

Now I am a mean, old, crotchety, set in my ways, harpie. I prefer the dark and would be happy living in a cave.

I enjoy gourmet cooking, gardening, astronomy and ancient history. I am owned by a cat that runs an illegal possum smuggling ring and a canine fruitbat.

12. Mar 7, 2008 #11
    How much of that is true?

13. Mar 7, 2008 #12

Evo

All of it.

Here is my cat's ad.

Attached Files:

14. Mar 7, 2008 #13

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm surprised your cat hasn't been caught advertising illegal business like that.

15. Mar 7, 2008 #14

Evo

He swears the possums are legit, I admit his paperwork does seem in order. It's just odd that they show up only at night and don't appear to speak English.

16. Mar 7, 2008 #15
    geeez i love cats, but I do not own one

17. Mar 7, 2008 #16
    OK, I'll start. Yes, I'm a newbie and have been for about 3 years and 4 months now. Before I joined, my life was rather boring. But since I started posting, the most fantastic things have happened to me. I find it hard to believe half of it myself. I look forward to the next 3 years and 4 months and hope you do too.

18. Mar 7, 2008 #17
    Sorry pal, but I've to tell you:

You're too late

As regards me, I usually don't let people know much about me. What I can tell though is that I've recently made up for my A-Levels and after all I'm now planning to attend the MIT or - as a second choice - the German University of Aix-La-Chapelle RWTH Aachen by next year, or so. ASAP, that is after I've passed all nessesary tests.
    Then, I will hopefully graduate in Physics and aerospace engineering.

19. Mar 7, 2008 #18
    Hi, I'm Sarah. I'm 33 years old and work as a lawyer. I have a degree in Classics from Bowdoin College, and a law degree from the Univ of Maine School of Law. My primary area of practice is estate planning, probate and elder law, but I also represent kids and parents in child protective/family cases, and do Social Security Disability work.

Although I'm a nonscientist, and have very little formal scientific education, lately I have developed a strong enthusiasm/respect for science, and enjoy reading on lots of different topics. I have a special interest in physics, and am very pleased to have found this site! I have already learned so much since being here.

Another major interest of mine is running, specifically ultrarunning. I train for and run races of very long distances--I have completed several races at the 50K and 50 mile distance, and last year I completed my first 100 mile race.

Best wishes to all!

Sarah

20. Mar 7, 2008 #19
    {waves} Friends call me Patty. I've been a member for 6 years. I had well over 1,000 posts, then they reset the post counts on a forums change some years back. With my work load, I just have never been able to get back up to speed.
    I love antiques{books pottery textiles}, rocks and minerals, gardening, anything to with cars and animals.
    I started school at U of Colorado, and finnished at Wayne State{Detroit}. Hah, many moons ago.

21. Mar 7, 2008 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm Lisa. I live in Washington State. I have a BS in physics from the U. of Washington, but I work as a chemist (:confused: long story). Right after I graduated I took off about 9 years to be a stay-home mom. Loved it! But I forgot a lot of my physics :frown:, which is why I started hanging out here. I've been here about 6 months. It's a great resource. Plus the people in GD are whackos.

My life revolves around my family - we have a teen daughter who gives me sleepless nights and grey hair (those of you who raised more than one - my hat's off to you! And now that my hat's off you can see that, in fact, I am getting grey hairs...). Also in the family are two very large dogs and one sweet cat.

I love skiing and hiking (my family isn't fond of the hikes...my hubby calls them "forced marches"). I love cooking too, but don't get enough time to do it as much as I'd like.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?