1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Letter of recommendatio-current prof.

1. Jul 23, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone,

I will be needing letters of recommendation for grad school towards the end of next semester. I transfered from community college and don't have such close relationship with physics professors at my university. I did good (A's) in all classes but I didn't have any of the profesors twice.

I will be doing my research the last semester Spring '10 and it will be too late then for grad school admission. I even thought of making a break after undergrad for one semester because I have too much going on with my personal life (too many obligations) that I haven't started to study for GRE's yet.

So, my question: If I do well in the classes I am about to take in fall, would it be ok to ask professors for letters of recomendation before the end of semester even if I will be having those professors for the first time?

I just feel it would be better because they will have a fresh idea of what kind of student I am.

Thanks,
    Jaska

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2009 #2
    Yes. Profs understand that. If you spoke up in their class and you did well they'll supply a token positivel letter. (Of course that will never be as good as a recommendation from a prof you've actually worked with but still)

4. Jul 24, 2009 #3

j93

Unless you do stellar on the GRE, you should maybe consider spending a year doing research somewhere it would increase your profile greatly.

5. Jul 24, 2009 #4
    That is my problem mostly since I am so quiet that I never speak up in class even though I know material and do well in class but I don't think they remember me since I am so quiet. But I'll try more now since I really need it.

Also about research I planned to do it earlier because I wanted to go into experimental physics and wanted to see how I do in lab but couldn't find time. So if needed maybe I'll stay and do some research. I guess it will depend on GRE's and how I do on them as well.

Thanks both on reply
    Jaska

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook