1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Letters of recommendation from non-native English speakers (US schools)

1. Jan 11, 2013 #1
    When applying as a transfer to a 4-year college from community college, is there anything detrimental about this? I don't want to be insulting and ask him to get someone to proof read his letter of recommendation, but he's not exactly a Nobel laureate or NAS member so I'm afraid if his letter is not well written clearly in English, it might affect the admissions committee. Will it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Do you have any specific reason to expect bad english?
    Anything good enough for a publication should be fine for a letter of recommendation, I think.

4. Jan 11, 2013 #3
    all his publications seem to be non-English as far as what's on his public resume. whenever we communicate via e-mail, his emails aren't very fluent and neither is his speech.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook