Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lie derivative and vector field notion.

1. Jun 26, 2010 #1
    Here is an approach for lie derivative. And i would like to know how wrong is it.
    Assuming lie derivative of a vector field measures change of a vector field along a vector field, take a coordinate system, xi , and the vector field fi along which Ti is being changed. I go this way, i take the vector 'T' at point xi, transform the coordinate as- xi -> xi + efi= x'i, e nearly zero. Now Ti(x) is transformed to T'i(x').
    Now I subtract T'(x') with T(x).
    We would do the same thing to find directional derivative of a scalar function- S( x + ef)- S(x)= S(x')-S(x)
    Now back to vector T. T'j(x')= Ti(x)dx'j/dxi.
    Now take Ti(x') = Ti(x) + efk[tex]\nabla[/tex]kTi. Since T(x) is a vector field. But I don't ask for a definition of connection. We use arbitrary connection and try to see if T(x') is completely specified by T(x) by requiring specification of connection [tex]\nabla[/tex].
    So T'j(x')= Ti(x') - e( fk[tex]\nabla[/tex]kTi(x) - Tk(x')dfi /dxk
    To first approximation.
    This finally gives, considering first order in e,
    T'j(x')= Ti(x) - e( fk[tex]\nabla[/tex]kTi(x) - Tk(x')[tex]\nabla[/tex]kfi)
    = Ti(x) + e(lie derivative required) + e2(terms..)
    As is seen here, the final form does not include the notion of a definite vector field for T. Even connection [tex]\nabla[/tex] can be removed from lie derivative for vector. I need to know if it is correct, the assumption that lie derivative can be considered as change in tensor, not necessarily a tensor field. Or is a precisely defined tensor field property already used here?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2010 #2
    I really need to know if its correct. Its simple maths though looks long. Could someone help? Experts' comments?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook