Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lie derivative with respect to anything else

1. Oct 13, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I have been looking around, and I can't seem to find a slightly different version of the lie derivative where the lie derivative is taken with respect to a tensor field, rather than a vector field. That is, a quantity which measures the change in a vector field, along the "flow" of a tensor field.

I am not asking about the lie derivative of a tensor, which is the change in a tensor field through the flow of a vector field.

does such a derivative exist? is this a reasonable question?

Also, would a different, but correct way to describe the Lie derivative be "it measures the change in a tensor field with respect to the change in a vector field" ?

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2011 #2
    I can't think of a definition of the lie derivative with respect to a covector off my head.
    However, we may talk about the lie derivative with respect to a totally contravariant tensor.We could define it as the tensor product of component-wise lie derivatives. Such a quantity could be another tensor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?