Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lie group multiplication and Lie algebra commutation

1. Nov 25, 2015 #1
    I've heard it said that the commutation relations of the generators of a Lie algebra determine the multiplication laws of the Lie group elements.

I would like to prove this statement for ##SO(3)##.

I know that the commutation relations are ##[J_{i},J_{j}]=i\epsilon_{ijk}J_{k}##.

Can you suggest a possible next step for showing how this can be used to determine the multiplication law for ##SO(3)##?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2015 #2
    I'm not used to Lie but I think the steps are : You could find a set of matrices that satisfy these commutation relation, $$J_k $$

Then it builds a basis for the Lie algebra.

By exponentiating we get elements of the group SO (3)

Thus we need to compute $$exp (aJ_x+bJ_z)$$ for exemple.

4. Nov 25, 2015 #3
    Does the multiplication law refer to the fact that if we multiply two elements ##e^{i\theta_{1}J_{1}}## and ##e^{i\theta_{2}J_{2}}## from the Lie group, we get an element which is also in the Lie group?

Or does the group multiplication law refer to the fact that ##e^{i\theta_{1}J_{1}}e^{i\theta_{2}J_{2}}=e^{i(\theta_{1}J_{1}+\theta_{2}J_{2})}##?

5. Nov 25, 2015 #4
    The last is in general not true see Baker Campbell Hausdorff formula

6. Nov 27, 2015 #5
    Alright then, how would you define the multiplication law for ##SO(3)##?

7. Nov 27, 2015 #6
    The operation could be matrix multiplication but the exponential comes from writing a rotation out of an infinitesimal one.

Infinitesimal rotations are commutative but rotations are not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook