1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Life of batteries (Probability)

1. Dec 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The lifetime of batteries are independent random variables Xi, i= 1,2,... each having exponential distribution given by the density f(x) = 2e^-2x, x>0, 0 elsewhere.
    If a flashlight needs two batteries to work, then the time that the flashlight can operate is a random variable Y=min(X1,X2). Find the CDF and PDF of Y

2. Relevant equations
    Xi, i= 1,2,...
    Xi ~ f(x) = 2e^-2x, x>0, 0 elsewhere
    Y=min(X1,X2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    What i'm not sure about is the initial approach to this problem. I'm not sure if I should treat it as an order statistics problem in which case i'd be trying to use the equation:

g(y) = n((1-Fx(y))^(n-1))f(y)

though i'm not sure if Fx(y) and f(y) are just the respective cdf and pdf of X.
    I know if i have the pdf, I can get the cdf easily.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Do you know what a Dirac delta function is? Given a PDF f(x1,x2) for two variables x1 and x2, the PDF g(y) for any function y=h(x1,x2) of these is given by
    [tex]g(y) = \int dx_1\,dx_2\,f(x_1,x_2)\delta(y-h(x_1,x_2))[/tex]
    where [itex]\delta(y)[/itex] is the Dirac delta function, and where x1 and x2 are integrated over their complete ranges (whatever they are).

4. Dec 9, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the help. I don't recall covering the dirac delta at all but i'm trying to use it and we'll see how it works. I was thinking there might be a transform involved as well? Thanks again, I appreciate it.

5. Dec 9, 2007 #4

Avodyne

Science Advisor

I was able to use this method to solve the problem, but it's tricky. There's probably (no pun intended) a method that avoids it; maybe someone else can help.

6. Dec 9, 2007 #5

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since Y is min(X1, X2), and if Prob{Xi < x) = F(x), what is the probability Prob{min(X1,X2) < y), in terms of the F function?

7. Dec 10, 2007 #6
    I just can't figure out how to deal with that "min". I know that if say Y=X1^2 then I would just follow:

cdf = Fy(y) = P(Y<y) = P(X^2<y) = P(X<Y^1/2) etc, but I don't know how to represent that 'minimum' when i'm trying to solve the inequality for X.

Thanks again.

8. Dec 10, 2007 #7

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the minimum of X1 and X2 is less than y, then it cannot be the case that "both X1 > y and X2 > y."

9. Dec 10, 2007 #8
    Would it correct to say then P(Y1>y) = P(X1>Y)*P(X2>Y) ?
    Thanks.

10. Dec 10, 2007 #9

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exactly, or P(Y<y) = 1 - (1-P(X1<Y))*(1-P(X2<Y)).

11. Dec 11, 2007 #10
    Ok, i'm coming up with a pdf of:

(4e^-2y)*(1+e^-2y)

OR

(4e^-2y)+(4e^-4y)

Thoughts?

12. Dec 12, 2007 #11

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Not what I got. And I got the same answer with my fancy delta-function method and EmulaFish's simpler method.

Can you show your work?

13. Dec 12, 2007 #12
    well after talking to my professor, he said I should be using the order statistic technique

pdf of Y=min(X1,X2...Xn) = g(y) = n*[(1-Fx(y))^n-1]*fx(y)

where n=2 for this case
    Fx(y) is cdf of X evaluated at y = -e^-2y
    fx(y) is pdf of X evaluated at y = 2e^-2y

I put those into g(y) and that's how I came up with that.
    Thanks again.

14. Dec 13, 2007 #13
    Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? Thanks.

15. Dec 13, 2007 #14
    I figured out one thing i've been doing wrong. My new answer for pdf of Y=min(X1,X2) is

4e^-4y

I'm pretty confident about that one.

16. Dec 13, 2007 #15

Avodyne

Science Advisor

That's what I got!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?